1. Default one-week roadtrip from Boston

In connection with vacation in NYC, Cap Cod and Boston we (family with 2 kids aged 11,16) plan a 7 day road-round-trip from and to Boston or NYC. Any suggestions for routes and sights on the way will be very much appreciated. We like scenic roads, cultural sights and "off the beaten track"-experiences.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default going anywhere

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm a little puzzled by your question. Are you looking to take a one week trip that includes Boston, Cape Cod, and NYC or are you planning to take a one week trip after you are done touring those places?

3. Default one-week roadtrip from Boston

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
    The road trip is NOT including NYC, Cape Cod or Boston. We plan to stay app. a week at each of these locations. Will probably start in NYC, then go to the cape for a laid back week by the sea, then the one-week road trip to show the kids that the USA is more than just big citites, and finally end our vacation in Boston. Hope this makes more sense.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Some options

Some of the places I like that would definitely fit into a one-week trip in the Northeast would include a route along US-6 - which you will most likely be on for at least part of your trip on Cape Cod - across Pennsylvania's Northern tier, then down into Pittsburgh to visit what I consider an underrated city.

Head South along I-79 and then across Maryland on US-40/I-68, taking in the natural beauty of this mountainous area. Then, up US-15 into Gettysburg for a bit of US history. From here, pick a set of two-lane roads, at least in Pennsylvania, to head back towards Boston. It is the getting to know the unknown that makes a road trip memorable.