Default Foreigners on a roadtrip

Hi fellow travellers!

Great forum!
    Me and my girlfriend are flying to Miami, hoping to buy a car and then drive by Key West, New Orleans, Memphis, Paris Texas and up north via route 66 to Las Vegas and finally LA where I will stay for a few months, sell the car and fly home.
    We both have swedish + international driving licence.
    I´ve been reading different threads on the forum about non US travellers asking tips about how to buy a car and insurance. And it sure looks a bit difficult. It seems like most people give up and rent a car instead.
    Have you received any feedback from anyone who actually went through with the process?

Also I´ve searched the internet for insurance companies and found Berglund Insurance in Arizona who apparently cater to foreigners. Does anyone have any experince with them?

Tucson, AZ

Default What Little We Know

Välkomnande! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, it is more than "a bit difficult" and few if any people who have sought advice on how to do this have come back and shared their experiences. This thread, and the links in it, pretty much sums up the state of our knowledge. We wish we could be more encouraging, but it is a difficult task and you will have to deal with the specific laws of the state where you buy and register your car. The best advice I can give you is to contact the Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles and start talking to them directly.

Thanks for the välkomnande and swift reply.
    I´ll try to contact the DMV. I´ve also sent some emails to different insurance companies and it seems like Geico can insure non residents if they get a US licence within 30 days.

I've just posted this on another thread but you may also want to check out Berglunds Insurance. Let us know how you get on if you do.