1. Default questions about colorado in feb/march

we want to go to ouray,co. in feb or march. our plane lands in colorado springs & we will drive from there. we want to drve across that royal gorge on our way to ouray. driving conditions are a big concern & we'd like to know if it's a good time to "drive" . we would like to know if feb or march would be better.we want to go on a couple of jeep trails & would like to know if there will still be snow in the mountains. t.y

Default My Crystal Ball is Down at the Moment

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Along that general route the weather will be rapidly 'improving' all through February and March. But while temperatures will be steadily rising, so will precipitation amounts. The other bad thing about that time of year is that it is typically above freezing during the day and below freezing at night which can lead to icy roads. I would certainly expect snow in and on the mountains, but on any given day you could see sunny and warm, or cold and wet with freezing rain. The best you can do is to schedule an extra day or tow for making the drive, and then go when the weather is co-operating.

AZBuck

Default Snow? Seems likely

Quote Originally Posted by tx_pigs View Post
    we want to go to ouray,co. in feb or march. our plane lands in colorado springs & we will drive from there. we want to drve across that royal gorge on our way to ouray. driving conditions are a big concern & we'd like to know if it's a good time to "drive" . we would like to know if feb or march would be better.we want to go on a couple of jeep trails & would like to know if there will still be snow in the mountains. t.y
    texas,
    My recollection, although from 15 years ago, is clear. Ouray sits at a considerable elevation and the popular jeep trails are pretty much all higher than the town's elevation. According to online sources, Ouray's elevation is 7,800'. That tells me there's pretty close to a 100% chance of snow in the mountains, in town, and pretty much everywhere between Co Springs and Ouray in Feb and March. I would be quite surprised if any of the trails were accessible other than by snowmobile or cross-country skis. There are quite a number of jeep tour companies operating in the area, so checking with them would correct or confirm my thoughts about Feb/March weather and ground conditions.

Foy