Hope no one objects but I thought i would post my proposed route for my first road trip which I am hoping to go on in Oct 08. I am familiar with a few of the cities so was looking for advice on the distances / terrain I plan to travel.
1) San Diego - 3 nights (Also plan to head in to Tijuana for an evening. Once back in US is it easy to get a taxi back to San Diego?)
2) Drive to L.A - Mainly via interstate 5
3) 3 nights in L.A
4) Drive to Santa Cruz - Via Highway 1. Is that a feasable distance in 1 day? I was told it is approx 12 hours?? Also will the time of year (Oct) have any impact?
5) 1 night in Santa Cruz
6) Drive to San Francisco
7) 3 Nights in San Francisco
8) Drive to Yosemite Park - Any Suggested Route's?
9) 2 Nights in Yosemite Park
10) Drive to Furnace Creek (Death Valley) - Again, on a map the distance doesn't look too bad but what is the terrain like? Is it achievable in a day?
11) One night in Death Valley
12) Drive to Las Vegas
13) 3 nights in Las Vegas
We may have one day to fill - Is there anywhere nice between LA & Santa Cruz or is there anywhere else recommended?
As for a vehicle we are looking at a Dodge MiniVan. WIll that be adequate for the terrain? Sorry if that is a stupid question but England is very flat!