Default Jacksonville, FL to Winter Wonderland in 12 days?

Just found this site. Love reading it. My question, is where to go? Plans are to leave next Saturday Jan. 5th. Don't have to be back until the 16th which gives me 12 days. My girlfriend has never seen snow and I want to go someplace we can try snow skiing, snowmobiling, etc. Plans were maybe we would go up to the New England area like the White Mountains in New Hampshire, Northeast Kingdom area in Vermont, and back down through New York State. Problem is, looking at the long range forecast it looks as if a warm up trend will occur after next week. Not sure how much snow will be around. We want cold weather and snow. Now I'm thinking about going to the Rockies in Colorado. It is further and would take probably 3 days to get there and 3 days back. Can it be done in 12 days? What to you guys recommend for a couple wanting a winter vacation and to enjoy the drive at the same time?

Thanks alot,

Dean in Jax.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default possible, but perhaps not enjoyable

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As far as your idea of going out to Colorado would be possible in your timeframe, although I'm not sure if it would be the most enjoyable idea. It would require at least 3 long days of driving each way, and it you wanted to enjoy that part of your trip, you'd probably want 4 days each way, which would really start cutting into your time in Colorado.

I don't think you'd need to go that far to find cold and snow, however. I know Upstate NY has gotten a lot of snow this year, and they aren't in danger of it melting any time soon. I have to imagine that even if it warms up a bit, you'll still find some snow in New England.

Another option would be to head towards the midwest. We've had one of the snowiest decembers on record, and a cold snap is in the forecast, so if you want cold and snow, we'd certainly have that here. You could head up to Chicago and then up into Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota and find all sorts of winter activities to enjoy during your trip.

Finally, you wouldn't even have to travel that far if you just wanted to see snow. You could simply head to the mountains of Tennessee which get enough snow to support ski resorts.