1. Default Sierra Nevada in February

I'm driving down from San Francisco to Vegas mid Feb and know that i won't be able to get across Yosemite. I was looking at going further south and crossing near Porterville via the 190 (Camp Nelson, Kernville) then joining the 178 at lake isabella to join the 395 before going North to Lone Pine. Is this likely to be snowbound at this time and how long might it take (Porterville to Lone Pine). I've got the rest of the route sorted but am not sure about this due to the weather.

All input would be very very welcome.

Thanks,
    Tom.

Default A long time

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The route you've described is a very slow route through the mountains in the summer, and quite frankly I'm not sure if the route is even open in the winter. You would certainly need chains and you'd have to expect it to take a long time.

Going through Shirley Meadows would be a better bet, since the road is open to allow traffic to a ski resort there, although that is another road where chains would be needed and would be subject to closure.

Traveling down to Bakersfield would really be your best bet. From there you could travel through the Kern River Canyon (very scenic) to Lake Isabella and onto US-395. That would certainly be faster than trying to go over the mountains, even though the distance is longer.

Actually using CA-58 and crossing at Tehachapi would be even faster yet.

Default ...And the reason for the extra mileage was?

Quote Originally Posted by littletommybonesaw View Post
    I'm driving down from San Francisco to Vegas mid Feb -- I was looking at going further south and crossing near Porterville via the 190 (Camp Nelson, Kernville) then joining the 178 at lake isabella to join the 395 before going North to Lone Pine.
    This is rather a novel approach for a route between San Francisco and Las Vegas. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! If we have a dry winter, CA-190 through the Great Sequoia National Monument should be open and quite beautiful -- but it is iffy -- you will need to check the current road conditions to see if the road is open to Kernville. I assume you already know that the PRIME southern Nevada route from Kernville will be closed to snow (J-41 over Sherman's Pass)? CA-178 is mostly a four-season road -- although it is subject to winter closures (for a few hours as well).

But the part I am really mystified by -- is proceeding on US-395 all the way to Lone Pine? It is a beautiful route -- but you can also follow CA-178 to Ridgecrest, through the Panamint Valley, before heading east on CA-190 into Death Valley and then on to Las Vegas;

Or, you can stay on US-395 and proceed to Olancha, CA-190 and head east that way to Death Valley and Las Vegas.

If you stay on US-395 all the way to Lone Pine, you will have to back-track to CA-190....

Mark

4. Default Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys, you're doing a great job. I think we'll go down to Bakersfield, cut across the 178 to Ridgecrest, overnight there then spend a day going through D.V to Vegas. Lone Pine was a ridiculous idea!

Keep up the good work, saviours of the roadtrip!