1. Default 1st Timer - Advice for Ultimate Rd Trip in 18 days

Hello - my best friend and I are planning our Great American Road Trip - looking for best route to see great sights (leaving Baltimore and flying back from final destination). From reading several posts it seems like coast to coast is not doable. We don't want to drive for more than 4 hours a day. We are fine with sleeping at new, clean motel 6 but prefer Comfort Inn/Sheratons. So we were thinking that with just the 2 of us maybe $3000, if we bring 2 teens and 10 yr old that it would be about $4000. We are trying to figure out what is the best rental vehicle for comfort for 5 (so kids can sleep) and the best place to rent. One Way rentals seem to be outrageously expensive. (We are estimating $500 for gas). If you can suggest a scenic trip that won't completely wear us out - we want to see Montana - Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and some beaches. Can you help?!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default conflicts

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm a little puzzled by your plans, and I think much of it is because you are putting the cart before the horse.

From what I've gathered you've got 18 days for a trip, but you don't know exactly where you are going to go, but you do know that once you get there you plan to fly back. Your trip will be for 2 adults or 2 adults and 3 kids? And you are estimating $3-4,000 for this trip, including $500 for gas, although you don't know what you are going to be using for a rental car, or where you'll be flying back from?

I think the first thing you need to do is figure out who exactly will be going on the trip. Planning a trip for 2 adults is quite a bit different than planning a trip for adults and teens.

From there you can start looking at where you'll want to go. 4 hours is a pretty short day behind the wheel, so you'll only be able to travel about 250 miles a day. Over 18 days, that would let you travel 4500 miles, if you drive every day. That would be enough to get you across country if you wanted to go coast to coast one way.

Beyond that, then you can start plotting out a budget. Your biggest expenses would certainly be your rental car and plane tickets. Both of those things are going to cost a lot more if you are only traveling one way. If money is an issue, you will save a lot of money by making this a round trip. With 18 days, you'd still be able to see a lot, although a coast to coast trip, traveling only 4 hours a day would be tough.