Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default sturgis 2008 roadtrip - brits on tour

hi guys , i'm a newbie to this forum as i have just found it . I am planning another trip for me and around 8 buddies to ride from Orlando FL to sturgis SD to finish up there when the rally is on. we have ridden there quite a few times and being from and living in England its my highlight every 2years or so . In 2006 we went from orlando and done the trip taking in the blue ridge parkway and memphis to name but a few . We felt that this was to much interstate riding and want to see some of the real america on the backroads.Thats why i'm here asking if anyone can help with suggestions on scenic routes or places to visit between orlando and sturgis . The trip will be 12days ride with the last 2 being spent in the black hills riding as thats awesome round there so basaically we have 10days to get to sturgis by the nicest ,scenic or most intresting routes possible. We figured on one day of lazy riding /sightseeing then pound the interstate the next then another day of lazy riding and so on and so on - any ideas as we could use all the help we can get - i love your country theres just so much to see .
    jimbo

Default 8 Touring Cycles?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the one View Post
    I am planning another trip for me and around 8 buddies to ride from Orlando FL to sturgis SD
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like a great adventure, although trying to keep pace with seven other riders sounds like a logistical challenge to me. That is akin to managing a small parade....
    We felt that this was to much interstate riding and want to see some of the real america on the backroads.
    A popular sentiment, although I am of the philosophy that the "real America" is actually more easily seen from the Interstate highway system. But your plan of mixing rural riding with interstate highways sounds good to me.
    So basically we have 10 days to get to Sturgis by the nicest ,scenic or most interesting routes possible.
    First question -- how many miles can you comfortably ride in a cay in both of those modes? By the most direct route, this distance could be done comfortably in about five days, and so 10 is very reasonable.

I would drive the Florida coast and then begin your journey north in Mississippi -- one of the places I would stay -- would be the Shack-up Inn, click here for a recent field report. I would also consider driving the Great River Road along the Mississippi River -- most of those small towns are chock-full of Americana lore. From St. Louis I would zig-zag across the America's heartland states of Iowa and Nebraska before heading for South Dakota.

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default Highway 71

I recently did a roadtrip along US Highway 71 from Louisiana to Minnesota and then took Highway 14 through South Dakota. It was a beautiful trip and cut strait through the heartland of America. I know that most people won't share my new found love of the corn belt, but I can't even begin the describe the sense of serenity that I found while travelling through Iowa. Here's a link to my recent trip.

Laura

Default A Bit of This - A Bit of That

OK - trying to mix Interstate and back roads, shore and mountains, cities and country, you have an incredible set of choices between Orlando and Sturgis. Certainly there are enough options that no one can tell you his/hers is the best. But here is one possible set of roads. From Orlando, head for Daytona Beach on I-4. Daytona might be a good place for you to get over your jet lag before starting up the coast on the A1A. Don't let the designation fool you, this is NOT an A-route as you Brits are used to, but the shoreline route up the Atlantic coast. Much of it will be built up, but there are occasional stretches of virgin coastline. When you reach the northern end, take the ferry across the St. John's River rather than go through Jacksonville, so that you can experience a couple of the southernmost Georgia sea island. At this point you can switch back to Interstates and head up through Savannah and either Charleston, SC or Atlanta, GA. Your goal on this stretch is to pound some Intestate (as you say) and get to roughly Greenville, SC. Actually your goal is specifically Topton, NC (hope you've got a good map) where you get on US-129, the Tail of the Dragon, the ultimate motorcycle road across the Appalachians. This road also skirts the southern edge of the Great Smoky Mountains. Pound some more super slab between Knoxville and western Kentucky and you'll be ready for the ride up the Great River Road to St. Louis that Mark suggested. I find that the road is better on the Illinois side (IL-3), but the towns are more intriguing on the Missouri side (Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve). Fortunately there is a bridge at Cape Girardeau and a ferry at Ste. Genevieve. You can continue the river theme by using MO-94 from St. Louis to Jefferson City before jumping back on the highway (US-63 and I-70) to Kansas City. I-29 will take you up the Missouri River, but I think you might want to look at getting off at either Omaha, NE or Vermillion, SD and just cutting cross-country across the plains. In the former case, try US-275, US-20 and US-83. In the later case, SD-50 and US-18. Either of these routes bring you to Mission, SD from which US-83 and SD-44 will bring you into the Badlands from the south and set you up for the final run into Sturgis. As I say, that's just one set of possibilities out of an almost infinite set of choices. Good luck!

AZBuck

5. Default

cool - keep those suggestions coming bros , we have done 2 trips to sturgis and back from vegas (man that deserts a killer) and one from orlando one way last year . Last years trip saw us head straight up to savannah where we got a flat tyre and had to find a dealership to fix it which lost us around a day. Then we road up to Elkin NC where i met a guy called Randy at hilltop custom cycles (look him up he builds sweet rides and hes a great guy) as i wanted to see his bikes and get him to build me one - he did , i shipped it over here and its awesome - truly . Anyway from there we went on the blue ridge parkway back and forth and went to chimney rock - thats cool then pound the interstate down to memphis for elvis week and a tour of gracelands - up thru arkansas and interstate on up to rapid city - theres just something about seeing a wild buffalo on the side of the road that just makes these trips amazing and keeps your engine running just in case that sucker is having a bad day. This time i'll be taking my 16yr old son along . One thing you do find is that people in the states are way more nicer to bikers than in England . Hope to get in the rapid city journal again as we did in 2004 mainly cos all the bikes were draped in the british flag i suppose ?
    Thanks for helping me out with your suggestions , i'll get my trusted rand mc nally out and follow your routes to see - thanks again guys , Oh and if your around sturgis in 2008 and bump into some crazy brits - chances are that will be us ! - later
    jimbo

6. Default

hey , i just had a thought , does anyone know where those huge redwood trees are that i have seen in so many holiday programs - the ones that you can drive thruy the middle of ? - that maybe worth a visit
    jimbo

Default Yosemite?

The redwoods are out in California. You can find them in Redwoods National Park and Yosemite. Probably way out of your way if you're starting in Florida.

Laura

8. Default

california ay .............hmmmm , heck i love a challenge , lets do it

9. Default florida - sturgis july 2008

hi guys , were in the process of planning our one way trip from orlando to sturgis for july / august 2008 for 10 riders . just looking for any real nice places to visit along the route . we plan to head up to the top of florida and hook a left then whatever from then on - we like to keep it pretty loose and variable . We all are from England and do this every 2 years or so and just love riding over there in your country . any ideas to make the trip memorable will be welcomed
    thanks guys - oh and girls !
    jim

Default Now For Something Completely Different

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

OK - Since you make this trip every couple of years, I presume that you're tired of the same old direct route on the interstates, and are willing to take a few somewhat slower alternatives that add some, but not too many, miles. So consider the following, which only adds about 60 miles but takes you to a completely different set of places:

Leave I-75 about 60 miles into Georgia and take US-280 through Americus and Plains and across the Chattahoochee River into Alabama and through the pine forests of the southernmost Appalachians to Birmingham. There you will pick up US-78, into Mississippi, where you can visit the birthplace of Elvis in Tupelo, and on to Graceland in Memphis, TN. From Memphis, cross the Mississippi and take US-63 up through the Ozarks of southwestern Missouri, eventually joining US-60 to Springfield. MO-13/MO-7 and US-71 will get you to Kansas City and put you back on the interstates for a bit as you go up to Iowa on I-29. Shortly after entering Iowa, take the exit for Nebraska City and then continue on NE-2 to Lincoln and another high-speed stint on I-80 west along the Platte River. In western Nebraska, exit the highway at Ogallala, take US-26 to Bridgeport and then US-385 north through the Black Hills to the Sturgis area.

Have a look at that on a good map of the U.S. and see if it appeals. It would be a much more relaxing trek than just staying on the motorways and give you a chance to see some varied parts of the country. If it looks like you would want to go that way, let us know what kinds of places particularly appeal to you and we'll do our best to point out any that are on your way.

AZBuck