1. Default Pace for SF to Seattle trip

I'm curious what a brisk yet comfortable pace would be for such a trip? The plan is to take 101 to Santa Rosa, then hug the coast all the way up to Astoria, head east to St. Helens, and then zip up to Seattle via 5. I had hoped 3 days would be OK, but I'm starting to think otherwise.

As a separate question, any "must see" attractions in addition to the ones I've already planned? So far I'm hoping to make stops at some coastal parks in California, the Redwoods, Astoria, and Mt. St. Helens. Thanks.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I am not familiar with the route, but looking at the map and the estimated drive time for the path that you mentioned, I'd say three seven-hour days behind the wheel would be a good estimate to get to Seattle via US-101. If you can put another day in there to really take your time, enjoy the drive, and leave breathing room to make any other stops besides the ones mentioned, I would recommend it.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default 3 days minimum, imho

Of course, it really depends on how many stops you plan on making and how long you plan to stop. It's hard to drive more than about 15-20 minutes without finding something worth exploring along this beautiful route. It's very do-able in 3 days but I think there's enough worth exploring to give it more time, if you can.

Just a few prior threads you might want to read through that should answer a lot of your questions: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3, and Thread 4.

There might be a bit of repetition between those threads but they should answer many of your questions.

If you want to share the types of things you like to see and do, we could give you more specific suggestions.

4. Default

So I've decided to add on a day, making it a smooth 4 days of travel.

As for the attractions I'm most interested in, I like to hike, camp, explore old decaying buildings, find the unique and ideally non-touristy sights that each town or region has to offer.

If I were in the wine country, I'd definitely do some wine tasting, so anything like that along the coast would be cool. Tidal pools, natural hot springs, or anything completely weird and random are always at the top of my list.

Photography and mushroom hunting are two big hobbies of mine; I'm sure I won't be left wanting in the photography department, but if you guys know of anything about mushroom hunting, let me know. I feel like I've reviewed most of the previous posts about this road trip, so if you guys have any additional info to add, please do.

The trip is ideally going to be a budget one, lodgings will primarily be my trusty tent. If you have any must-see camping spots, I'd love to know of them. Otherwise, hostels or a cheap B&B are also options if they exist. My friend and I are both 24, so anything catering to a younger, more active crowd would be ideal. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Young and active

Gosh, it's been years since I could relate to those terms. LOL

But, hopefully, these ideas will help:
    * riding the dunes at Oregon Dunes NRA
    * river-trips near Gold Beach
    * cave exploring at Oregon Caves, although you'll have to detour inland for that
    * night life in Newport and Seaside
    * beach-combing most anywhere
    * ocean boat trips from Depoe Bay
    * hang-gliding at Cannon Beach...actually, I don't know if you can purchase a chance to do this or if it's just enthusiasts who do it there but it might be worth checking out if this is what you're looking for

Some campgrounds I've really enjoyed are (south to north):
    Cape Blanco
    Umpqua Lighthouse
    Cape Lookout
    Fort Stevens