1. Default Houston to Las Vegas

A friend and I are road tripping to Vegas in early January. We plan on taking about 2 1/2 days to get to Vegas and want to see some really amazing sites but are somewhat limited on time. I'm thinking I-10 to 93 or possible I-10 to 25 and go through Albuquerque then hit 40. Which route would be the safest for this time of year and most memorable? I sure appreciate all of your input.

Safe Travels!

Tucson, AZ

Default Memorable is Not Necessarily a Good Thing

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Houston to Las Vegas is nearly 1500 miles, that is pushing it a bit for 2½ days. The two routes you've laid out are quite comparable in time and distance so, since you don't have time for anything other than watching the landscape roll by, take the route that will have the best weather, something that you won't know until just before departure.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Memories take time to make

At the speed you are going to have to be traveling, you probably won't remember much of anything about the trip other than how tired you were at the end of the day. I would recommend, if you can, add in another day to get to your destination. This would allow you more time to relax, and ultimately enjoy the trip.

Default Take your time

I have driven from Lawton, OK to San Diego, CA before, following route I-40, which is about the same distance as your trip. You DEFINITELY need 3 days, and I would make sure you are aware of where you plan to stay overnight at each stop. We had a great trip, but also tried to handle it in 2 days and it just wasn't happening. Make sure not to go less than 1/4 of a tank because sometimes the gas stations are few and far between, and they will try to charge you over $4 a gallon. Another thing to be careful of is driving through ghost towns...there are cops waiting for you to go 50 in that 25 zone, and you don't want to end up in jail in the middle of nowhere. If you do go through Albuquerque stop at the Sandia Peak Tramway. It is the longest in the world, and the views from the top are AMAZING!! I am terrified of heights but it was worth all the panic on the way up, trust me! Have a great trip!!