1. Default Houston to LA to San Diego

I am planning a road trip for my family this summer. Houston to LA to San Diego and back..... I figure about 2400 miles when all said and done. I am trying to figure out just how many days I need. Any ideas??? Any experiances?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Better re-check that map!

Quote Originally Posted by textravler View Post
    I am planning a road trip for my family this summer. Houston to LA to San Diego and back..... I figure about 2400 miles
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! By the most direct route, this distance is 3,136 miles and if you drive at a reasonable rate (with time for exploring and sightseeing) you should limit this to ~450 miles per day or seven days of travel. Obviously you can drive more miles on some days...

Tell us a little more about the kinds of things you want to do and see on this trip. Here are some tips for planning a family roadtrip.

Central California

Default Two weeks... least.

Howdy, As Mark has pointed out, you will likely spend about 7 days, 8 hours per day on average, just driving the loop (and that doesn't allow for traffic delays around and between LA and San Diego). Depending on the ages and interests of your family, I'd recommend at least another week to do a decent job of seeing the sights.

Pick up a guidebook to southern California, or just Los Angeles and San Diego, sit down with the family and vote on the must-see attractions. I guarantee that you won't be able to fit it all into 7 days.

And besides those, there are lots of interesting places along the way. For example: In New Mexico you have Carlsbad Caverns, Gila Cliff Dwellings, White Sands National Monument; in Arizona there are Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone, Heard Museum, Saguaro National Park, Mission San Xavier del Bac; and in California there are Joshua Tree National Park, Blythe Intaglios, Yuma Territorial Prison, and several southern California Missions such as San Juan Capistrano, San Fernando and San Diego de Alcala. All of these and much more are along or near the main routes.

OK, maybe you should plan 3 weeks, or 4! You get the point...depending on how much time you want to spend, there is more than enough to fill it up with an interesting, diverse array of attractions.

You asked about experiences, we've been to all but one of these and I can honestly say that we had great experiences at each and every one. The important thing is for everyone to keep an open mind. Someone in the family will be less than impressed with each of the sights, but as long as everyone gets to see their fair share of favorites, you'll have a great time. And the best part is when someone discovers that they really enjoyed a place that they didn't think they were going to like. It happens every time.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

4. Default Texas to San Fran

I am planning a road trip from Houston TX to San Fransisco, down Pacific Coast Hwy to San Diego, and back to Houston. It will be late July.

I was planning to only make hotel reservations in Las Vagas, and hope to get rooms along the way, does anyone have thought on that. I want my schedule to be open, that is my reasons.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Pros/cons

I rarely make reservations myself, and I've never had a situation where I didn't eventually find a room. Although I've had a couple of situation where I drove a lot farther and paid a lot more than I wanted to, because I couldn't find a place at the first several places I stopped.

Here's an entire article that takes a look at the pros and cons of this popular subject.

The Netherlands

Default Long distance.

Even if you drive straight from Houston to San Francisco to San Diego and back to Houston it will be app. 4000 miles so with the detours and visits count on 5000. We did a similar drive this year and we were on 8200 miles in 8weeks but I must admid we took some very long extra drives.

7. Default I need some help with Las Vegas to Yosimite

We are travling from Houston to San Fran. CA in July. With a stop in Las Vegas, from there we will go to Yosimite. I also wanted to stop in the Sequoia Forest.
    What is the best route, is it worth it if we are limited on time?
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-04-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Merged Post into Original Thread

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Define Limited

Limited Time can mean a lot of things, so you be best off if you let us know exactly how much time you are thinking.

We've got a few thousand posts about this basic trip, but to some up, Going through Yosemite really makes for a 2 day trip, and you'd need a third to include Sequoia. Since there is no direct path across the Sierra to Sequoia National Park, you either have to take a more southern path or go through Yosemite and then head back south to Sequoia.