1. Default Moving From El Paso,tx To Northern California Question

so im moving and i know there is at least 1 checkpoint in new mexico somewhere i will be driving a budget truck rental towing my car that is not in my name still in process of getting it changed but i am from california and was told here i need to get it changed out there so its a big mess ,will they care at the checkpoint and tell me i cant take it? i will be driving on i-10 west to california on dec 28th

please help

Default Checkpoint?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

What sort of checkpoint are you expecting to encounter? I really am not sure exactly what it is that you think you will run into, but I'm not familiar with anything like you are talking about.

The only things I can even think of that would be close are the fruit inspection at the California border (and I'm not sure they even exist anymore) and sometimes the border patrol will set up checkpoints at locations near the Mexican border, but they are only looking to make sure you aren't bringing contraband into the country.

Default Checkpoint

Actually there is a checkpoint some 10 miles west of Las Cruces on I10.
    Last time we were there (october 2007) nobody had to stop but government employees were present. No idea what they were looking for. We also were stopped some years ago (2005) between Las Cruces and Alamogordo at the entrance of White Sands NM. This was more of a roadblock and everybody had to stop. The stop west of Las Cruces looked permanently. Also in California west of Yuma on I8 there was a checkpoint this year, but we didnot had to stop either.
    Yeehaw

Default who did the stopping?

Who was stopping you at these checkpoints? And what questions, if any, did they ask you?

Those sound like the border patrol checkpoints I was talking about, that are primarily looking for drugs and illegal immigrants.

We had another one this year between Organ Pipe Cactus and Why. Yes, border patrol.. Asking: Are you a US citizen? No, show me your passport etc. In 2005 we also had more but I can't remember where. We were driving all along Rio Grande from El Paso to SPI then. Also border patrols with the same questions. As I said we did not have to stop west of Las Cruces so no questions were asked but the instate was blocked and all traffic had to pass by.

6. Default Lots more Border Patrol Checkpoints...

Hmm.. last spring I did a day drive between Tucson and LA, stopping at Organ Pipe National Park.

We were stopped at 3 Border Patrol checkpooints that day -- one between Organ Pipe and Yuma, one between Yuma and San Diego, and the usual on I-5 at Camp Pendleton between San Diego and LA. We also saw numerous Border Patrol vehicles, including uniformed officers on horseback in the back country near Organ Pipe. In most cases the BP officers were sitting in their vehicles watching areas.

In 2 of the checkpoints, they were a bit different. Not the usual guy who casually asks "Where are you from? Are you US citizens?" and waves you on. In these 2 cases, it was a group of younger, very fit officers. One would come forwards, to ask the usual questions, while the others stayed back and watched. Weapons holstered for sure, but hands not too far away...

No unusual questions were asked, and nothing about vehicle registration, show ID or whatnot.

Part of the reason I think is that the border between San Diego and Tucson is the area where most illegals and smugglers come across, with the area between Yuma and Tucson as the most active area for smugglers.