Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default From Madison, WI to San Jose, CA in mid Jan

Hello,
    I am planning to drive from Madison, WI to San Jose, California on Jan. 12, 2008. Do you have recommendations on which route should I take? I am planning to drive four days for now. Is it possible? The google map shows I should take I 80 most of the time. How is the road condition on I 80 in winter? Safety is more important to me.

Thanks,

Default Keep an eye on the weather

Quote Originally Posted by yjin View Post
    I am planning to drive from Madison, WI to San Jose, California.
    I-80 is the most reasonable route -- you may well hit snow, sleet and rain. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Go to this page, get the telephone hot line phone numbers for each state keep informed about road conditions. You will be fine.

Here are some winter driving tips
    Here are some ideas about safe road trips.

Mark

3. Default

Hello,
    Same here I am heading from Lafayette, IN to San Jose, and the internet maps all shows I80 being the fastest route, but I am concern about the following things:

1.) Weather, this is winter and there has been alot of news lately about pile-ups
    2.) I have not look hard enough out there but is there a site, which lists hotels along the route, I am taking.

Thanks

ennma

Default There are about a dozen such planners

Quote Originally Posted by ennma View Post
    2.) I have not look hard enough out there but is there a site, which lists hotels along the route,
    The best listing for lodging found along Interstate Highways is probably TravMatix, but here is more information about some more such services.

Mark

5. Default

How many days does it take to get to San Jose, Ca from Madison, WI if I hit some bad weather on the road? Also, how is the road condition in Reno area? Is it really bad? Thanks.

Default Too far out

If you hit bad weather its impossible to know how long your trip will take. If you hit good weather, your trip might only take 4 days, but you could get a storm that will delay you for a day or even two.

Its also impossible to say what the conditions will be like in Northern California at the time you travel, its just too far away. You could hit perfect weather, or they could be getting a snowstorm in the Sierras that will require chains to pass, or that could close the freeway altogether for a short time.

7. Default

Thanks for the reply. So, it should take roughly 5-6 days if I hit bad weather? What's the worst situation? I have never driven in snowstorms before, so I really need to be prepared. If I hit snowstorms in the Sierras area, is there an alternative route? I really don't want to use the chains. Thanks.

Default Like I said...

There really is no way of knowing how long it will take, it will completely depend upon what sort of weather you run into. Short of seeing into the future, at this point know one knows what that weather will be.

If you run into a storm, it could slow you down for a day or two, which would make it a 5-6 day trip. You could also run into a really bad storm, you might have to simply wait it out for 2 or 3 or more days. You might also run into perfect travel conditions. Its just the nature of winter weather in the United States.

If you don't want to travel with chains over the Sierras, then you will have to be prepared to wait out a storm. Short of a several hundred mile detour, basically down to Southern California, you've got to go over the Sierras to get to Northern California.

Default Travel safely

I can't add much to what you've already been told except for to urge you to check the weather forecast each night and, then again, each morning to see if you need to modify your route due to storms.

Also, many states have 511 as a number you can call to get road conditions if you have a cellphone available (and I wouldn't travel without one, especially in the winter). Some states don't use that so you might want to do a websearch for the DOT's in each state you're traveling through and get their numbers for their information lines.

Also, it's always good to travel prepared...particularly in the winter. Be sure you have at least these minimum items with you: working flashlight with extra batteries (or 2), blankets, extra food and fluids, and first-aid kit. I also recommend that you have hats/gloves/boots just in case you do end up having to walk someplace. You might consider getting chains and practice putting them on so you have them if you need them. Heck, I'd even be sure to have a good book and a deck of cards with me. If you do get stuck on the side of the road for a few hours...maybe they're clearing a snow dump or something up ahead...you might as well have a blanket to bundle in, a flashlight to read by, a snack, and a good book to bide the time. You might want to check out What Do You Put in Your Trunk? and some of the other threads in the Gear Up section to get ideas of what you should bring with you.

10. Default where to stop by

Any recommendations on some good places to stop by along I 80? Thanks.