1. Default Memphis, TN to Beaverton, OR

Hi,

I'm planning to do my first ever road trip from Memphis, TN to Beaverton OR for a job assignment. I do believe this is quite a long trip (34 hours and 2300 miles). I'm a bit wary of the conditions that I will encounter on my way including weather, driving through snow etc... Would appreciate some tips on how to go about this. Or is it just best to ship the car and go for the more expensive plane ride at this time of year.

Thank you very much for all your tips.

Default Four Days Minimum

Quote Originally Posted by roving View Post
    I'm planning to do my first ever road trip from Memphis, TN to Beaverton OR
    It is really not possible to drive that distance in the winter in 34 hours -- it is much more realistic to think of this trip as requiring four full days of driving. Do you have that much time available? If so, this will still be a "speed run" and you might want to read this article and consider our tips on covering such a distance in a short period of time. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! You might also find these winter driving tips helpful.

Mark

Default Shouldn't be too bad...

...if you take your time.

I'd allow a few extra days, about 6 or 7, and enjoy the trip. You can pick one of several routes, just keep an eye on the weather forecasts, and do it.

The route with the least up and down goes through Cheyenne, WY and Salt Lake City (the way the wagon trains went). From there you can go directly northwest via I-84, or if the weather is too bad, and you like to play the slots, go west to Reno and Sacramento, then up I-5 (yes it is a long way out of the way, but from Sacramento on you aren't likely to hit much snow.

Shipping your car is certainly an option, but the wintertime scenery is worth the drive (don't forget to buy tire chains, and learn to use them).

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years

Default Slight snow possibility

go west to Reno and Sacramento, then up I-5 (yes it is a long way out of the way, but from Sacramento on you aren't likely to hit much snow.
    Actually, there is potential for snow between Redding, CA, and Medford, OR, due to places like the Siskiyou Pass. Since I-5 if the major route for trucking, the DOT will get any snow cleared off quickly but it's still a good idea to keep an eye on weather forecasts/road conditions. It might be worth it to stop for the night in Redding if there has been a dump and traffic is stopped/slowed for some time to get the road clear again.

This is not real frequent so the odds are in your favor, but it doesn't hurt to be aware.