1. Default Los Angeles to New York in Winter

I'm in my mid 50's, live in the Los Angeles area and have never been east of Arizona. I figure at this point in my life, If i don't get out to see the country I never will. Against the advice of my AAA agent, I've decided to drive cross country to New York on route 70. The agent explained that taking I 70 in winter would be far too trecherous and time consuming. However, I really want to visit the cities along that route. Has anyone had any experience taking I 70 in the winter, and if so do you have any words of advice. Thanks.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

It's never to late to start enjoying the road and exploring all the wonders that are out there waiting for you. Being in your mid 50's, that means you have many years yet in which to do so.

As far as I-70 being too treacherous - well, that depends on the weather systems that happen to be in the area which you're traveling at that time. This route is heavily traveled by cross-country truckers, and generally highway departments strive to keep the road open at all times. It could be the case that you won't hit any bad weather along the way!

That said, use your best judgment as to when to hit the road or to stay put where you happen to be. You don't want to try and beat the storm on these roads, since chances are many others will be trying to do just the same. So, if you happen to be in Denver and a storm hits, stick around Denver for a few days, to give the crews time to clean up the roads.

Default Agreed

I agree with Tim. If you have flexibility, and can carefully watch developing weather patterns, there's no need to fear winter travel along I-70. There are two principal passes in Colorado, Vail and Berthoud (?--the one which I-70 passes beneath via the Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver) and I-70 is a bit dicey between Eisenhower Tunnel and Denver with some large elevation changes, but a hunker down somewhere low and nice, such as the Glenwood Hot Springs Resort in Glenwood Springs, will allow the experts with Colorado DOT to clear things up for you nicely, as you'll see from the many webcam views of I-70 which show real-time conditions ahead of you.

For confirmation, look at the CO DOT webcams throughout the day today, then look again tomorrow and the next day. They've just gotten a pretty good dumping and I think they're in for another tomorrow. Watch the action and watch how quickly traffic picks back up.

I-70 doesn't go to New York State, of course, so depending on just where in NY you're bound for, there is some planning to do in that regard.

Foy

4. Default Thanks For the Helpful Info!

Wow. This really is a cool site. You guys replied so fast with some great information. Thanks! One more thing I neglected to mention in my original post. I am doing some basic planning, but I wish to travel without making advance reservations. I truly believe that doing so will add a greater sense of adventure. Is this a plus or a minus while driving in the winter? Can I assume that there is less traffic that time of the year and that the prices of motels along the way will be cheaper and available?

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default Motels

Quote Originally Posted by SECRETARIAT_1970 View Post
    Wow. This really is a cool site. You guys replied so fast with some great information. Thanks! One more thing I neglected to mention in my original post. I am doing some basic planning, but I wish to travel without making advance reservations. I truly believe that doing so will add a greater sense of adventure. Is this a plus or a minus while driving in the winter? Can I assume that there is less traffic that time of the year and that the prices of motels along the way will be cheaper and available?
    Availability and cost will depend on proximity to winter sports facilities and other functions. Major motels rarely fill without some sort of driving force, either a local event or facility, or, something like a road closure.

Generally speaking, you should be fine, but it might not hurt to call ahead to motels you'll be getting to a few hours ahead to check availability.

-Brad

Default Not quite as simple as that

.. but I wish to travel without making advance reservations.
    That is how I prefer to travel -- here are some thoughts on this topic.
    Can I assume that there is less traffic that time of the year and that the prices of motels along the way will be cheaper and available?
    You can rightfully assume that there will be less summer tourists on the road, but winter storm closures along a highway can effectively render available lodging choices to zero. Winter rates in the northern parts of the country are less, but tend to be higher in the sunbelt states in winter.

Mark

Default Limited experience

My cross-country travelling of late has been limited to NC to Montana and back in 2002 and NC to Ventura, CA one-way in October 2007. I experienced no limitations as to choice of motels then, and with some routine discounts (AAA and AARP for me, and military for my son), prices were reasonable.

In a memorable bit of poor planning on my part, the trip out to MT was at the same time the Sturgis, SD motorcycle ralley was gathering, so on one night we did have some trouble finding a campground site about a day's drive/ride from Sturgis. On the return trip, we were out in front of that particular horde so were not affected.

I imagine somebody else can provide more specific info on availability and prices.

Have a good time planning and travelling!

Foy

Default Not the voice of experience!

The agent explained that taking I 70 in winter would be far too treacherous and time consuming.
    I would really doubt the counsel of anyone who suggested that I-70 was the more dangerous of the cross-Rocky Mountain routes in winter. For me, it is the #1 choice with I-80 and I-40 distant runner-ups. I-80 is the preferred route for professional truck drivers because of the more gradual elevation changes, but in terms of best road conditions, over-all I-70 has every other road beat -- hands-down. You do have to pay attention to road conditions and make good decisions -- but I really wonder if that AAA agent has ever driven in the Rockies in winter months?

Mark

Default Use your AAA membership

I don't have any advise for driving I-70 (except through Dayton, OH - that is the only place I have ever been on that highway.)

But I suggest you get all you can out of your AAA membership. Make sure you have maps and Tour Books for all the states you will be traveling thorugh. If nothing else, you will have a decent listing of hotels in each town you are going to drive thorugh and you can call ahead to make reservations or check availability when you need to.

Default It is (mostly) all online now

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingAg View Post
    But I suggest you get all you can out of your AAA membership.
    I have been a member of the AAA for 26+ years -- and so I would certainly recommend their services -- One thing that is kind of interesting, is that AAA opened its trip tik tour services to the general public for free and you can obtain most, if not all, of the level of information right from your computer -- with the huge added advantage of being able to use direct hyperlinks right to the vendor businesses you are interested in. Check out our "review" of these services here.

Mark