Thread: First road trip

1. Default First road trip

Me and my girlfriend are planning a road trip from Victoria BC to the Yucatan Mexico Via the Baja in late January. We just bought an RV for our first road trip and would appreciate any tips on traveling to this region for a couple of first timers, Tips about the borders, Mexican insurance, ferries from La Paz,Gas prices in Mexico, places to camp, things to see, good web sights travel stories ect.
    Any help at all would be appreciated thanks and happy travels.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Wow that sounds like an incredible journey!

Quote Originally Posted by tradewindsails View Post
    We just bought an RV for our first road trip and would appreciate any tips
    Here is a good checklist for your first shake-down cruise. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Here is an article about boondocking and we are expecting a field report from a recent RV forway into Mexico by RV. Here are some general road trip tips for travel in Mexico.

Happy Planning!

Tucson, AZ

Default What Little I Know...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

This is one area of the world that I have not explored nearly enough, so I don't know that I'm going to be able to be of a whole lot of help. But I have taken cars across the border and it is true that Mexico requires that you have car insurance written by a Mexican underwriter. There are several agencies in border towns that will be more than happy to write you a policy. Given the length of time you'll be in Mexico and the size of the vehicle you'll be insuring, I would strongly recommend that you pull up in the San Diego area for a couple of days both to enjoy its pleasures and to take the time to do some serious comparison shopping. If you are a member of CAA, check with them before leaving home and also with AAA in San Diego for their recommendations.

The La Paz - Mazatlan ferry only operates once a day as an overnight sailing. You might want to look seriously at getting the 'Especial' cabin for a little privacy and a restful night's sleep. I know my daughter and her cousins love the time they spend on east side of the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) farther north in Puerto Peņasco so plan on taking some time to enjoy it before moving across Mexico to the Atlantic coast.

Finally, my wife and I looked at a trip to Belize a couple of years ago. Although our plans unfortunately fell through, we are still fascinated by what we found available in this sole outpost of British colonialism in Central America, and you might want to look into a side trip there from the Yucatan.

4. Default

Thank you for your help! the pages on boondocking and road trip tips were helpful as well as the page on the mazatlan ferry.

5. Default I need GPS Maps of mexico HELP!!

I have just bought a Delorme lt-20 for my laptop and can't find street level maps of mexico anywhere I need them for peice of mind on my upcoming roadtrip this february I am going from tofino BC to the yukatan in mexico via the baja if anyone knows anything about gps I need some help
    Thanks in advance