Thread: 13 colonies

1. Default 13 colonies

Hi there.

I am thinking of taking my wife to see the "Thirteen Colonies" as she has requested. She's never been to the East coast, and I lived in Maryland for a while.

Considering confining the trip to visiting a few key cities. Here's my idea: land at Boston and spend a day or two there, eating the eats and seeing the sites. Then to New York, ditto. Then to Philadelphia and then on to Washington DC., then a plane back home. 4-10 days.

Does this seem a little ambitious? Why not?

Just curious about top sites for reasonably priced food and key history sights at the four cities. What do you think?

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default How many?

It sounds like you are not visiting the 13 colonies on this trip - but no matter, visiting just a few would make for a nice trip.

Four days is far too ambitious to enjoy yourself. If you have ten days, then it is definitely doable.

Each of the four cities you have mentioned is steeped in history, and you cannot turn a corner in any one of them without running into something historic. I am most familiar with Boston but have spent time in each of these cities. I have found some very good, reasonably priced restaurants in Boston's North End - primarily Italian food.

Central California

Default Early American History

Good for her for asking to travel to the original 13 colonies - a truly remarkable area of our country. From the sounds of it, you'll be able to visit about 8 of the 13: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Virgina.

The list of historic sights to see between Boston and Washington, DC is long, very long, and 10 days will give you a fair chance to visit some of the best. My patriotic favorites in that area are:

The Freedom Trail, including Paul Revere's house, The Old North Church, USS Constitution (all tourable), and the many historic buildings in the area as well as the Faneuil Hall market area.

South of Boston, in Quincy, are three homes that belonged to the John and Abigail Adams, and their son, John Quincy Adams. These homes provide an intimate look into the lives of these most interesting people.

South of Quincy, in Plymouth, is Plimoth Plantation. It is an intriguing recreation of the original Pilgrim village as it might have appeared in 1629, nine years after they landed. The interpreters are all in character and do an amazing job of giving you the feeling that you've actually been transported to their time. Not to be missed!

New York
    The sights here are almost automatic, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Greenwich Village, Central Park, and any of a myriad museums. If you are interested in a slice of 18th and early 19th century life, there is a wonderful restored village in Bethpage, just a few miles east on Long Island, called Old Bethpage Village.

The cradle of our country has so much to offer. Start at Independence National Historical Park which includes: Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Congress Hall, Bishop White and Todd Houses, Carpenters Hall. Also see Constitution Center and spend some time in the Society Hill area of town where many 18th century buildings have been preserved and restored.

If you lived in Maryland, you probably know about Fort McHenry National Monument. If you visit on a calm weekend day they unfurl the huge replica of the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the poem "The Star Spangled Banner." Seeing it still wave gracefully in the breeze above those same ramparts is a stirring experience.

Washington, DC
    The White House isn't visitable any more, but seeing it from the Pennsylvania Avenue side is still a thrill. Tours of the Capitol, Library of Congress and Supreme Court buildings are a must. The Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, Rooselvelt, WWII and Vietnam Memorials/Monuments always leave me speechless. And, finally, you could spend a week in the Smithsonian museums. A memorable side trip is south to Mt. Vernon. President Washington's home is a true highlight and a must see for all Americans, in my humble opinion.

There is much more, and this is probably more than you can fit into 10 days, but it will give you a start in sorting out what might be of interest.

Finally, without being too self serving, let me mention that my wife and I just did a guide book to historic sites all across the country, including this area, that might prove useful.

Have a great trip...if you love history, you can't help it.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years