Default Help...My niece wants to drive Iowa to NYC!

Anyone with experience and good info willing to advise me?

My niece (and a few friends) are planning to drive as of this weekend from South West Iowa to NYC and back. They think they're going to be able to do this drive in four days (allegedly to pick up a friend and bring them back to Iowa).

This sounds ludicrous to me (particularly given the winter weather ahead of them).

What feedback, suggestions, warnings or other advise might you have for me/her?

peace,
    Robin

RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default 4 Days Round trip?

Greetings Robin, and welcome to the Forum!

You're niece is looking at 1,120 miles (in general, as the crow flies) at least between the SW region of Iowa and NYC. I've done this kind of a drive in two days from Central Washington to Arizona twice, once via California and the other via Utah, but those were VERY long days of driving (18+ hrs), in summer months. With the winter months, she's looking at less good driving hours and more chances of inclement weather. I'd say it's possible, but that's a lot of driving each day, not a lot of room for stopping.

If her plan is simply to drive into NYC, pick up the friend (a 10 minute process), and turn around, it'll still be hard to squeeze in. I'd recommend adding an additional day, 2 would be better (making it 6 days total), that way she's not sleeping for 2 days when she gets back (2 days of 18+ hrs on the road caused me to 'crash', as in sleep for about 16 hrs as soon as we got to our destination from being so worn out).

With the weather, she needs to really think about the cost of the trip, vs. how much it would cost for her friend to fly to the closest airport and them go pick the friend up there. If that is possible, then that would be a much better option. If not, they really need to consider adding extra days. She may be thinking that she'll just be driving, not much work, but, it is more exhausting than people think.

I think it also depends on how long the friend is going to be in town for. If it's only a few days, it's probably not worth it. But that's my take anyway, as gas is getting very expensive (this is becoming a costly hobby).

Hope this helps,
    Brad
    Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 12-12-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Default confirmed my concerns

Wow, thanks Brad for a very clearly articulated response that reveals your generosity and kindness!

Yep, you've confirmed my concerns.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

peace,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Brad View Post
    Greetings Robin, and welcome to the Forum!

You're niece is looking at 1,120 miles (in general, as the crow flies) at least between the SW region of Iowa and NYC. I've done this kind of a drive in two days from Central Washington to Arizona twice, once via California and the other via Utah, but those were VERY long days of driving (18+ hrs), in summer months. With the winter months, she's looking at less good driving hours and more chances of inclement weather. I'd say it's possible, but that's a lot of driving each day, not a lot of room for stopping.

If her plan is simply to drive into NYC, pick up the friend (a 10 minute process), and turn around, it'll still be hard to squeeze in. I'd recommend adding an additional day, 2 would be better (making it 6 days total), that way she's not sleeping for 2 days when she gets back (2 days of 18+ hrs on the road caused me to 'crash', as in sleep for about 16 hrs as soon as we got to our destination from being so worn out).

With the weather, she needs to really think about the cost of the trip, vs. how much it would cost for her friend to fly to the closest airport and them go pick the friend up there. If that is possible, then that would be a much better option. If not, they really need to consider adding extra days. She may be thinking that she'll just be driving, not much work, but, it is more exhausting than people think.

I think it also depends on how long the friend is going to be in town for. If it's only a few days, it's probably not worth it. But that's my take anyway, as gas is getting very expensive (this is becoming a costly hobby).

Hope this helps,
    Brad