1. Default New Jersey to California....We need help

Well to start off the trip is going to consist of me and 3 of my friends and we are going to be all 18. We figured this would be an exciting and memorable experience for after graduation. We would like to travel to California including some pit stops at different attractions along the way... To add more specifics we are looking to go San Fransisco, my car gets around 23-25 miles a gallon and we are looking to say in the cheapest lodging along the way. But the problem is none of us have ever gone on a road trip before. So hopefully someone can help us we these few questions...

1. How long should we allow for this trip
    2. How much will a trip like this cost (guesstimating)
    3. What is th best route we should take
    4. Any cool attractions to stop at along the way and in California
    Last edited by Jartiglier1; 12-12-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!
    I would encourage you to check out our planning pages and, along with your friends, to take our compatibility quiz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jartiglier1 View Post
    Well to start off the trip is going to consist of me and 3 of my friends and we are going to be all 18. We figured this would be an exciting and memorable experience for after graduation. We would like to travel to California including some pit stops at different attractions along the way... But the problem is none of us have ever gone on a road trip before. So hopefully someone can help us we these few questions...

1. How long should we allow for this trip
    It typically takes five days to drive from one coast to another - figure on 550 mile per day on average. Three weeks would be a good time to make the trip in a safe yet timely manner, and still fit in taking in the sights along the way.

2. How much will a trip like this cost per person
    This is difficult to say on the outset - what kind of lodging will you be using, what kind of fuel economy does your vehicle get, etc.

3. What is the best route we should take
    That all depends on the types of things you are interested in. You have pretty much the entire country available for a trip of this magnitude.

4. Any cool attractions to stop at along the way and in California
    Here's a few:
    Gateway Arch
    Grand Canyon
    Rocky Mountain National Park

Where in California are you looking to go? Remember that CA is about 18 times the size of NJ, and you've got a lot of options available to you, from the wooded North to the beaches in the South, and all points in between.