Default San Fran to NY in a month, via Florida

First off, just wanted to say what a relief it is to find a fab site like this! You guys really seem to know what you're talking about :-)

My boyfriend and I are from New Zealand (that little country at the very bottom of the globe) and we are planning on travelling the US together in June next year. We start in San Francisco and want to make our way to New York. The only sure places at this stage that we know we want to see are LA, LV, the grand canyon, Miami/Florida. Is it feasible to do all this in just under a month (~28 days)? And if so, what would be the best route to take so we can see some amazing sites but also not be stretched for time?

Any advise would be much appreciated :-)

PS. If we were to buy a car, what would be the cheapest that we could afford to buy that will a) fit all our stuff (we wont have that much but a mini probably wouldnt do!) b) wont break down and c) economical (fuel wise) ?
    Last edited by travel.bug; 12-12-2007 at 02:36 AM.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

First off, a month gives you a good amount of time to do what you want to do, taking in the sights along the way, and enjoying the trip. There really isn't one route versus another that would mean the difference between being stressed for time versus taking it easy, with the amount of time you have. Typically, it takes five days to travel from coast to coast. If you were to hit all the spots along your desired route, you could figure on it taking 9-10 days of driving 500 miles a day. So, if you take it easy and do about 250 miles a day on average (five hours per), you still have a week to do whatever.

Buying a car for trips such as this is generally difficult - issues of insurance, licensing, registration, taxes, and of course selling the vehicle at the end of the trip, can make it a hassle. Plus, finding what you are looking for is difficult. A vehicle that will fit all of your stuff and be economical as well as affordable is the "holy grail" of road trip vehicles, and I don't think any of us have found a 40mpg vehicle that will hold >65cu. ft. of gear for under $10,000.

On a related budget note - how do you plan to lodge on this trip? Hotel/motel, hostel, camping, long-lost relatives? Twenty eight days is a considerable amount of time to be on the road, and you will want to budget accordingly.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default At Some Point...

At some point, get on Route 66. Perhaps drive the California Coast from SF to LA, then take Route 66 to get a real slice of Americana. At Williams, Az, you can drive to the Grand Canyon. Then 66 will take you through Flagstaff, Az, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, NM, Amarillo, Tx, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Ok, the Ozarks and St. Louis in Missouri, Springfield, Ill (with all the Lincoln stuff), to Chicago.

Then go east to NYC and down the Atlantic coast to Miami and then follow the Gulf of Mexico back to New Mexico and then the southerly route to California.

Just some ideas.

You have one great country. I spent a week touring there and would like to have had a month or more.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway, --RoadDog

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Here's a Place to Look

I was just looking at this site's Roadtrip Field Reports and came across a post by el chulo about a 36 day trip they took this year. It appears they went to most of the places you want to go. You might want to check it out.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 12-12-2007 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Link to cited thread added

Default thanks

Thanks for those tips! As far as budgeting for accomodation goes, we plan to do a combo of cheap motels and camping - we're students and dont have too much money between us ($2000 each to spend on everything we need along the way). Is it possible to do this sort of trip with that much money or are we dreaming?

Also, the route we take has to first go to miami then to NY because Ill be flying out of NY back to san fran to go home while my boyfriend is carrying on up the coast to get to Canada on the east coast where hell be studying for the rest of the year. On this note, this is why we are considering buying a car because my bf will have time to sell it afterwards and hes already in canada now so we also have time to buy one and sort out all the niggly things like insurance etc. But if you still think its too much of a hassle to buy, how much does it cost to hire a car and is it possible to hire a car in the west coast and leave it on the east coast (say if its the same company)?

Green County, Wisconsin

Default including car?

Does the $4,000 total you're budgeting include your car costs?

If the $4k is just for your living expenses while on the road, I think you will be ok budget wise, but if you need to include your car, then you are facing a pretty big challenge. If you buy a car, I think you'll need a minimum of $4k up front just to get a car that will stand up to a major trip.

If your boyfriend is already in Canada, then it will be much easier to buy a car, however buying it in Canada will be much easier than trying to buy in the US and sell in Canada. Purchasing the car where he lives would be easiest, but if you had to start in the west, then Vancouver will be much easier than San Francisco.

Default ...

the 4k doesnt include the car- that would be stretching it a bit far!! Good to know that you think 4k will get us where we want to go, so thanks :-) Yeah he would have to buy one in canada as hes driving from vancouver to meet me in san francisco, so that works out well.

Default Rental car advice

about renting a car- I paid about $900 for an economy size for one month. and you do have options of renting on one coast and leaving it on the other- but it usually involves a fee. Budget car rental service has always been good on prices and small dings :) and options.

Default free car hire

A friend recently told me that sometimes its possible to deliver a car for someone from coast to coast at no cost to you or them- basically, someone gets their car delivered and you get to use it for your road trip for free- smiles all round! Anyone here have any more info on this sort of arrangement ie if its actually possible, and if so, how to go about arranging it?

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Point A to Point B Fast

Car deliveries as you describe involve getting from here-to-there ASAP. You are not allowed time for exploration or dawdling or extra miles outside of fuel/sleep/food breaks right along the highway. And the highway you must drive must be the most direct route. I don't believe that this is the type of trip you're looking for.