1. Default Los Angeles to Green Bay, Wisconsin in the Winter

My husband and I recently adopted an abandoned puppy while in Mexico. Needless to say we don't want to further traumatize her by putting her in a cargo hold on an airplane, so we've decided to drive -- all the way to NorthEastern Wisconsin -- to see our family over Winter break.

I was born and raised in the snow, in Wisconsin, but have never driven to Wisconsin in the winter.

Wondering if anyone has tips, advice, suggestions to make our travels easier and safer and where we should stop along the way, etc.

Most importantly - what would be the best website to use to find out up to the minute information about road closures and weather?

Thank you SO much! Abby

Default Border Crossing?

Quote Originally Posted by abbyfrances View Post
    My husband and I recently adopted an abandoned puppy while in Mexico.
    Is the puppy still in Mexico? Or now in LA? If in LA, I am surprised you didn't have any problems at the border.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I was born and raised in the snow, in Wisconsin, but have never driven to Wisconsin in the winter.
    Here are some winter driving tips and here are some ideas for caring for your dog.
    Most importantly - what would be the best website to use to find out up to the minute information about road closures and weather?
    What I suggest is that you use this site, get the toll-free telephone numbers and check each one as you travel across the country on your route.

Mark

Default The Easiest Way to Drive in Snow ...

is don't. You've got two almost equally good routes available to you that are only about 150 miles different in length on a trip that will total about 2250 miles. They are separated by enough distance that if one is getting belted with bad weather, the other one stands a fair chance of being clear. The northern route would be I-15 up through Utah, then I-70 through the Rockies, I-76 from Denver to Nebraska and I-80 across the plains to west of Chicago and finally I-88/I-39/I-43 up to Green Bay. The southern route would be I-15 to I-40 across northern Arizona, New Mexico and Texas to Oklahoma City, then I-44 to St. Louis, I-55 to Chicago, I-94 to Milwaukee and finishing as before on I-43. Keep an eye on the weather in the days leading up to your departure and remain flexible.

AZBuck

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Wisconsin Driving and Route 66

I've always found the roads in Wisconsin to be good during winter. They get a lot of snow and are prepared for it.

At some point, get off the interstate and drive along Route 66 to see a bit of Americana that's about gone. You can take 66 all the way from LA to Chicago, or use the interstates that run along side it. This will take you through Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, St. Louis, and Chicago.

You can definitely take it through Illinois as it runs alongside I-55. Check out the Ariston in Litchfield and the Cozy Dog in Springfield for food.

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog

5. Default Thank you so far!

Dear All.

Thank you to everyone for your helpful information, I sincerely appreciate it. We had planned on going through the southern states on the way there and through the rockies/moab on the way back home to Los Angeles.

The reason why we are driving (in case it wasn't clear earlier) is because we have the puppy with us.

Thanks again, so much, to everyone for your help! What a great forum. I'm still hoping/waiting to hear from 'Midwest Michael' !

:)
    Sincerely,
    Abby

Default gee, thanks!

I'm here, and I've been reading, but the other posters have done such a fine job of responding, I really didn't have that much to add!

I guess I can throw in a quick route/shortcut suggestion for you. Once you get to Illinois, I wouldn't go all the way to Chicago. I'd take I-39 north to Madison and then go Northeast on US-151, which is a 4 lane expressway for most of its length. Take that to Waupun, and then take WI-26 as a 2 lane shortcut to Oshkosh, and then continue up through Appleton and onto Green Bay. That will save you dealing with the traffic of Chicago or Milwaukee.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Good Idea

Midwest Michael has a great idea with I-39. I always try to avoid the Chicago 'hassle" whenever possible.