1. Default Tampa, FL to Portland, OR in Feb.

I'm planning on driving from Tampa, FL to Portland, OR in February. I know, I know....probably not the best time of the year to drive....but it's out of my hands. My initial game plan is to take the southern route so I can avoid the mid-west snow storms.

Does anyone have any advise re: weather, routes, etc? I'm a bit worried about getting snowed-in or stuck somewhere on the way up I-5 from CA to OR. I have an Accord, and will get snow tires, just in case. Will that suffice?

Any tips?

Thx!

Default Shortest route is usually the best

Quote Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
    ....probably not the best time of the year to drive....but it's out of my hands.
    It won't be a problem at all -- thousands of drivers will be out there with you doing essentially the same thing. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    My initial game plan is to take the southern route so I can avoid the mid-west snow storms.
    This is generally an unwise course of action -- for winter travel -- the shortest route is usually the best. What determines the intensity of winter storms is the degree or amount of water in the atmosphere (and, of course, the reach of the artic air mass) and so the last place you really want to be in winter storm conditions is the Texas, New Mexico, & Arizona corridor because the heavy, wet air coming out of the Gulf of Mexico fuels some of the wildest ice storms you will ever see in the USA.

That being said, the route I would consider as the #1 choice would be to head northwest to St. Louis and Kansas City and then I-80 to Salt Lake and then I-84 to I-5 to Portland. (This route is about 3100 miles and will require five full days to drive it).

Here are some winter driving tips.

Mark

Default Texas could be tricky

I'm not too familiar with driving through much of the country in the winter.

But I would recommend you be cautious about driving through Texas. We tend to get our worst weather Mid January to Mid Feburary and our first (and usually only) big freeze is during that time of year. Snow may be scarry, but we get ICE and that is much worse.

If you do attempt to take the southern route, be sure to have an escape plan - know where the towns are, have backup places to stay if you get iced in, and plan an alternate route.

The bad weather only happens for a day or two at a time, but weather in Texas is always unpredictable and always changing. As a clue, two days ago it was 70, today we'll be lucky if we hit 40, and this weekend we won't need coats.

Default We are in 1000% Agreement with this!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingAg View Post
    We tend to get our worst weather Mid January to Mid Feburary and our first (and usually only) big freeze is during that time of year. Snow may be scarry, but we get ICE
    I have driven in more ice storms in Texas than in any other state in the USA. I should say "attempted to drive in" Texan ice storms. What usually happens is that road gets de-facto closed and one is lucky if one can even reach an off-ramp. One memorable evening in the panhandle I was on the road for about nine hours and progressed about 75 miles...

When those ice storms hit, the surrounding town often run out of fuel and lodging options --

Thanks for the local's advice!

Mark,

5. Default Disaster averted! :)

Wow! Thank you SO much....I would have ended up as a popsicle had I not received these tips! So....looks like the best course of action is:

"to head northwest to St. Louis and Kansas City and then I-80 to Salt Lake and then I-84 to I-5 to Portland."

Correct?

I've always thought the midwest gets TONS of snow, which would render it difficult to traverse. Is this not the case?

Default overrated

The midwest certainly gets its share of snow, but cold and wind is often a bigger issue than snow. The Northeast/Great Lakes area typically gets far far far more snow than the Great Plains region.

But as has already been said, if you do see storms, your choice is often between snow and ice. Personally, I think its a lot easier to deal with snow than ice, although both certainly have their challenges.

As always, checking the forecast is your best bet, and if you can avoid a storm on I-80 by going south via I-40 or north via I-90, then that can be a smart move, but I would certainly plan on using I-80 as your primary route across the west.

7. Default

SOOOO Glad I checked in here! I, too, am making the cross-country trip from Tampa to Salt Lake City after Christmas!

I had assumed I must take a southern route, too.

Say, anyone know the best way to find hotels that allow dogs on that route?

Dunno

Default Sure...lots of people travel with their dogs

Check out:
    Dog Friendly
    Pets Welcome
    Pet Travel

These are just three of many good sources you can find with a quick google.