1. Default How to Plan a Year Long RV Roadtrip?

I will be returning to the States in late 08, and plan to go on a year long RV roadtrip. I am looking for suggestions on how to plan this trip. While a year sounds like a long time, it won't be enough to see everything. So, I will try to see the most/best things in each State.

Besides tips on planning, any recommendations on websites that might list/describe the best things in each State.

I need to narrow down what to see, note where they are located, and then try to come up with a driving plan that is the most economical and efficient. I don't want to be driving haphazardly all over each State and crisscrossing the States without a plan.

The only plan I have so far is to travel in th north during the summer, and in the south during the winter. I also plan to see the National Parks, large Amusement Parks, and take bicycle/motorcycle scenic tours.

Thanks,

Dan

Default It will go by in the blink of an eye!

Quote Originally Posted by TxSinbad View Post
    I will be returning to the States in late 08, and plan to go on a year long RV roadtrip.
    Where are you returning from? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum and welcome home... I lived and worked in a RV for 6.5 years and traveled all around the country and still only saw a small portion of what is waiting out there for you. A year, sounds wonderful, but it goes by very, very quickly.
    I am looking for suggestions on how to plan this trip.
    This is a good place to start. We spend a great deal of time thinking about how to plan road trips. These planning articles may be very helpful to you. And we have a couple of RV experts who share RVing tips here.
    I need to narrow down what to see, note where they are located, and then try to come up with a driving plan that is the most economical and efficient. I don't want to be driving haphazardly all over each State and crisscrossing the States without a plan.
    I dunno -- personally I really like the chance to mosey -- spend the time now doing research about what you would like to see and then once on the road, let the road guide you as you work on the route. Here is one route, that is probably the most efficient way to travel around....

Look at the bottom of each page of this Forum for more ideas.

Happy Planning!

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the links. I will be returning from the Philippines in November. I know that a year isn't long enough, but I needed a timeframe to begin. I might travel longer or shorter.

I plan to see as many national parks, major amusement/water parks, major fairs/festivals, and the more popular and well known sites.

Besides time, money has to be a consideration.

If you know anymore links that will help me identify the most popular sites in each state, let me know.

Default We all envy your year to travel!

These might not always be the "most popular" places in each state, but the information in our State Places Challenge - A to Z sure lists a lot of places that sound interesting!

I think the best places to find out what to see in each state are usually the state tourism websites each state has. Some are better than others but you can always get some good information and even order free maps and guides. Do a web search for "___name of state___ tourism" and you should easily find these websites.

Of course, you could also use the search function for these forums. Typing in the name of a state should bring up many discussions about that state and give you ample ideas.