1. Default Los Angeles to Chicago

Hi everyone -

I'm a pretty young guy (23) and i've been wanting to go visit my sister, who recently moved to chicago. I plan on taking a solo road trip with just me and my camera and i was wondering if can I ask you're advice on the most enjoyable route. And by enjoyable I mean the following: scenic, interesting places in between, no super long stretches of nothingness, etc. I just want to experience other parts of the country as I have yet to be further east than vegas. I would probably be driving my 03 ford focus and i will probably be going in a couple weeks after schools out. Seeing that winter time in other places is far different than in southern california, i would need to take a route that would be suitable for the type of car im driving.

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me.

Thank you very much in advance.

- Mike

Central California

Default Weather Crystal Ball

Winter can be a wonderful time to traverse the country, or it can be a pain. If you have a good, clean weather crystal ball you'll be able to do it effortlessly. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone who has one of them. So you'll just have to do the best you can by keeping a close watch on the weather channel and taking a weather radio with you.

As for the best route, I'd start with the "optimum" plan and have alternate routes worked out, just in case.

For me, the best route would include Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Arches National Parks, then across Colorado to Denver - about 1,000 miles. After that you have another 1,000 miles of eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois that are relatively flat, not entirely featurless, but not as dramatic as the first part of your trip. Realistically, you should alot at least 4 days, with one more in case you need to wait for weather to clear.

Even the southern routes will have a similarly flat expanse to cross, and the only thing that will make one route better than another is the condition of the roads.

If you can get a set of cable chains for your car, it would be a good investment.

Have a great trip, and Happy Holidays,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years