1. Default Tahoe to Vegas-winter

Hi
    I´m from Brazil and intend to go from Lake Tahoe to Las Vegas late december.
    I´ll be driving a 4x4 SUV and reserved two days to do it.Is it doable?My first plan was hit the 395 south,190 east and 95 south,but reading others in the forum I became insecure if it´s really doable at that time of the year.If this doesn´t work,is 95 all the way down possible?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-04-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: minor typo

Default Not only possible -- an ideal time of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Is it doable?My first plan was hit the 395 south,190 east and 95 south,
    This will be a gorgeous time of the year to be traveling down US-395 -- but you don't really want to drive out of your way from Death Valley up to US-95 and then south to Las Vegas. It is an odd detour and could expose you to the effect of December storms.

You can drive it in a day -- even with winter storms -- it would take you about 8-9 hours. But if you can spend one night in Bishop or Lone Pine (Bishop would be my choice) you will have a nicer time.

When you reach Furnace Creek in Death Valley simply keep heading east on CA-120 to Death Valley Junction and then east on State Line Road to NV-160 and the east to Las Vegas.

US-95 is also a good route -- great mining towns along the way. You can stay overnight at Tonopah. Both are all season roads.

There is a third option -- but it can be more challenging in winter driving weather.

Have a great adventure!

Mark

3. Default

Hi Mark.
    Thank you very very much.I feel much more confident now.
    Actualy,Im starting this trip in LA,heading to San Francisco with two days to do the Big Sur(its worth it,isnt it?),2 days in San Francisco,3 in Tahoe,2 in Vegas and then 9 in La.
    Thanks again,and if you have any advice or remark to this plan,please,Id love to hear from you.We are a family of four(kids 14 and 16).
    Bye

Default A few more ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Thanks again,and if you have any advice or remark to this plan,please,Id love to hear from you.We are a family of four(kids 14 and 16).
    Bye
    Here is great index of routes that might be of help to you and here are some tips for planning a great family roadtrip holiday.

Mark

5. Default Big Sur Questions

Hello and thanks again for the info regarding the trip from Tahoe to Vegas (above)
    Before that leg,Ill do L.A. to San Fran in two days.Researching I found this "Big Sur",that I think I saw many times in cars tv commercials.Is this the one with breathtaking views?Is it worth and doable in the two days I reserved for this part of our trip?If someone has any indication to this road,it would be great.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Default Big Sur

Yep, Big Sur is a gorgeous stretch of California coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, and it can be driven fairly comfortably in two days. Less than that really doesn't so it justice, but you can at least sample most of its highpoints in that amount of time. There are many pull-offs where you can view sea lions and other wildlife as well as many state parks where you can experience both the oceanside and the forests just inland from the coast, as well as the absolutely spectacular.

AZBuck