1. Default My Dec 19-29 Road trip

Hello Folks,

My wife and I are about to venture on our first road trip. Here is our plan. Comments/suggestions/questions please!

San Jose, CA -> Portland, OR
    Portland, OR -> Salt lake City, UT
    Salt Lake City, UT -> Denver, CO
    Denver, CO -> Santa Fe, NM
    Santa Fe, NM - > Phoenix, AZ
    Phoenix, AZ -> San Jose, CA

Unfortunately, the more we get down to details, the more we feel that it may be too many places to visit in a 10-12 day trip.
    Suggestions? Please recommend places (nearby places) to visit at the various locations.

Also, how are the weather conditions at this various locations? Can you also please recommend how we should be prepared for the trip? We do not plan to camp out much so I am guessing camping gear is not required. Also, what types of vehicles are recommended for such road trips? We plan to take a trip in a full size car, but some of my friends were suggesting that an SUV would be better. What do you guys think?

Default Congratulations on the pending first-time!

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    My wife and I are about to venture on our first road trip.
    Congratulations on embarking on your first time! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Even though you are married -- you might find this little quiz very helpful -- there are all sorts of odd personality quirks that can arise in married couples when they take extended road trips and this quiz helps define the parameters a bit....And more importantly helps you to plan how to stop those quirks from "ruining" a day's journey.

If this were a summertime trip -- the route you have outlined might be possible, but you are likely to hit some winter weather on parts of this journey and I am not sure you can really physically drive it in 10 days. And like you (alluded to) and/or suggested -- it might be more fun to drive less miles each day and spend some time experiencing what these local areas can offer.

If it were my plan, I would cut out Portland and Denver and spend the 10 days exploring the southwest.
    Also, what types of vehicles are recommended for such road trips? We plan to take a trip in a full size car, but some of my friends were suggesting that an SUV would be better. What do you guys think?
    Whatever vehicle you are comfortable in. A full size car makes sense and some SUV's -- but SUV's are often not ideal in winter conditions -- it really depends upon how much experience you have in winter driving conditions. Here are some tips on that. Here are some suggestions for the kind of road trip gear that many of us carry on roadtrips.

Mark

3. Default Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the suggestions. My wife and I have reviewed these. We definitely are excited about the trip. We may just have to review the route an ddrop some cities. As you suggested we may just have to do the southwest.

thanks,
    Andy