Default Phoenix to LA via Route 66 & Grand Canyon & Vegas

My boyfriend and I are planning a short driving trip and would love some local advice if we are being too ambitious for distance and the weather conditions.

We would like to experience some or all of the following:

Start in Phoenix
    Visit Taliesin (Scottsdale)
    Grand Canyon
    Route 66 (we were thinking Winslow - but I know it's in the wrong direction to LA so maybe another small town you'd recommend)
    Some desert landscape
    Las Vegas (1 night)
    Finish in LA

We can land in Phoenix either the night of the January 2nd (10pm) or on the 3rd at noon. We need to be in LA on the 8th. This means approx 5 days travelling time.

As I mentioned not sure what sort of weather conditions we are likely to encounter, (we'd obviously like to avoid being snowed in,) and if it's likely to be adverse conditions perhaps we should modify our route accordingly. Similarly would you recommend hiring a 4 wheel drive in preference to a car?

Thank you in advance from a couple of Australians who are looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default time

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

On the surface I'd say your trip looks good, with a small warning that I think you'll have less time than you anticipate.

Basically, I think you need to plan for at least one full day to recover from the jetlag of coming across from Australia. Regardless of if you arrive at night on the 2nd or afternoon on the 3rd, I wouldn't plan to do any serious traveling
    until at least the 4th.

Even then, however, you should be able to make a trip up to the Grand Canyon, over to Vegas, and then down to LA in your remaining time, with quick stops to explore some Route 66 towns and enjoy the desert (which will make up a large part of your trip anyway). You'll have to keep moving, but it still should be a nice fun trip.

Thanks for the reply Michael.

We are actually flying in from New York to Phoenix so jet lag won't be a issue this time. A couple more questions if you don't mind:

What sort of weather conditions do you think we'll be in for in early January?

Any recommendations for good towns on Route 66 to visit?

Do you think we could do a detour to Winslow? Or are there equally interesting towns as we head west?