Default 3 friends. 5 days. any advice?

Me and a few of my closest friends are taking a road trip coming up soon. We live in Kansas City and are going to St. Louis just for fun. Are there any cool places from here to St. Louis that we should stop and see?! we are probably going to be taking I-70 all the way in but we can deal with getting off the main road to see something awesome. Also is there anything in St. Louis we should see. We plan to see the city museum but I'm sure there are more things to see. Also any cheap places to stay? right now we are going to sleep in my friends jeep :-) Also any other advice? We are all 18 and seniors in highschool. We have been talking about doing this for a while but never got a chance. any help is appreciated

Default Just the thing

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

A St. Louis Local shared his favorite places in the city a few months back. You can read his recommendations in this thread.

Default KC to STL

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord2k View Post
    Me and a few of my closest friends are taking a road trip coming up soon. We live in Kansas City and are going to St. Louis just for fun. Are there any cool places from here to St. Louis that we should stop and see?! we are probably going to be taking I-70 all the way in but we can deal with getting off the main road to see something awesome. Also is there anything in St. Louis we should see. We plan to see the city museum but I'm sure there are more things to see. Also any cheap places to stay? right now we are going to sleep in my friends jeep :-) Also any other advice? We are all 18 and seniors in highschool. We have been talking about doing this for a while but never got a chance. any help is appreciated
    I see Michael already linked to my St. Louis thread. What are you into? I can give more suggestions then. For what it's worth, I am quite fond of Columbia also and highly recommend Shakespeare's Pizza there and it is just a little way off of I-70.

In St. Louis, I am afraid my top pick (Ted Drewes') will be closed for the season -- at this time of year it is a Christmas Tree lot and is not selling frozen custard.

As for cheap places to stay, unless you have some good reason to stay downtown, I would suggest staying out in Westport off of I-270

--Jon

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default If You Like Tourist Traps

I like the two big-time tourist traps at Kingdom City. One is called Ozarkland and I think the other is Memory USA.

Plus, in St. Louis, check out the Chain of Rocks Bridge north of town and get a concrete at Ted Drewe's.

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone! It really does help and will go into the planning for the roadtrip! We are kinda into just seeing some strange things that we havent seen before! so anything that is just a point of intrest really :-) We are the kinda people who try to find the really small but great resturants/shops that are family owned or something if tha tmakes any sense :-D

Default Some more specific recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord2k View Post
    Thanks to everyone! It really does help and will go into the planning for the roadtrip! We are kinda into just seeing some strange things that we havent seen before! so anything that is just a point of intrest really :-) We are the kinda people who try to find the really small but great resturants/shops that are family owned or something if tha tmakes any sense :-D
    I can help with restaurants but I am not really a shopper so I will not be of much help there.

Check out South Grand -- this would be Grand Avenue south of I-44. Lots of small, good (non-chain) ethnic restaurants. I highly recommend Kabob International (Persian) and the Pho Grand (Vietnamese).

You should also spend some time on The Hill, the old Italian area. I would suggest Mama Campisi's, Zia's, or Rigazzi's and a trip to the Missouri Baking Company. Very St. Louis Italian/American.

The U-City Loop is also pretty cool -- stop by Blueberry Hill (Chuck Berry owns it and it sounds tourist-y (and it is a bit), but it heavily used by the locals as well -- great burgers.)

If you are into Chinese food, the Chinese students I know head out to Dim Sum at LuLu's (8224 Olive) which has excellent (and relatively inexpensive) food but mediocre service and also the Royal Chinese Barbecue (get the barbecued duck) (8404 Olive) -- these are both in the Chinatown region along Olive in St. Louis county.

If it were another time of year when it was open, I would say that you cannot miss a trip to Ted Drewes', but I believe they are not selling custard right now. (I will check the next time I drive by since I live pretty close to it.) As a substitute, you might want to consider the Crown Candy Kitchen. I haven't been myself, but I hear very good things about it.

Also, you might want to consider checking out old town St. Charles. Again, I don't really know it myself, but from what I hear it may be the sort of thing you are looking for. Also, it is right off of 70 on your way in (or out) of town.

Hope this helps,
    Jon