RoadTripper Brad Guest

Default A Holiday Treat - In the American Alps

I came across this today while browsing through The Wenatchee World, the regional newspaper for Chelan County and North Central Washington. It appears the tiny town of Leavenworth has landed in the national spotlight again. A few years ago, it was because two of the town's high school graduates were going to the Winter Olympiad. Today, it's something a little more of what everyone can enjoy: snow, Christmas lights, and high mountain air.

For those of you heading through Washington this winter may want to divert yourself to Chelan County, specifically along US 2 over Stevens Pass between Everett, WA and Wenatchee, WA. High in the Cascades at the opening of Tumwater Canyon and Icicle Valley sits Leavenworth, done up in Bavarian style building themes. I've attended the Town Lighting several years in a row, and it is always a treat. If you drive, be prepared to fight for parking. There are other options available for those that don't mind schedules.

See the town lighting for yourself from Good Morning America, as they broadcast live this morning from Front Street Park.
    Wenatchee World coverage of this morning's special lighting.

WHAT: Leavenworth Town Lighting Ceremonies
    WHEN: Nov. 30- Dec. 2; Dec. 7 – 9 & 14 – 16
    WHERE: Downtown Leavenworth, WA

How to get there:
    -Horizon Air to Pangborn Memorial Airport (EAT) from Seattle-Tacoma International (SEA) and then ground transport 30 miles to Leavenworth.
    -Drive US 2 to Leavenworth (parking may be difficult).
    -Park in Wenatchee and take Link Transit route 22 to Leavenworth (25 mile trip each way), not available all days and times.
    -Alki Tours Snow Train from Seattle to Leavenworth (sells out yearly).
    -Other options.

The good news is within the next few years, there will be an AMTRAK station built at Leavenworth which will be regularly visited by the Empire Builder between Seattle and Chicago. As soon as that station is built, transportation should get somewhat easier (I'm hoping that AMTRAK adds extra trains between Seattle/Everett and Leavenworth as well as Spokane/Ephrata/Wenatchee and Leavenworth for these events to help with traffic).

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone who is looking for something to do in the Northwest while they're up there this December.

Last edited by RoadTripper Brad; 11-29-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add info