Default I-15 from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City- January trip

Hello Road Trippers,

Even though we just completed the cross-country run to bring my son's truck to Ventura County, CA, there's another Road Trip ahead for him: He'll be driving up to Park City, UT for our family's annual ski/snowboard vacation week.

We traveled from Las Vegas down to Victorville on I-15 back in late October, then bushwhacked to Santa Clarita, Ventura, then to his base at Port Hueneme. Given that he'll probably leave base at 00:Dark:30 on a Friday morning in early January, he'll probably take the US 101 to I-210 route back over to I-15 before coming up towards Vegas and SLC this time.

But that's all an aside, actually. I was really just curious as to what the general road conditions are between Vegas and SLC. We were rather surprised at the elevation changes and fairly high passes/summits between Vegas and Barstow and need to take that overall situation into account as he plans his trip, which will be a one-day affair (I know, I know--but at least I convinced him NOT to get off work on Thursday and drive up then, arriving at dawn or later Friday).

So, high elevations and lots of up and down, or flatter and lower? He's traveling in a 4WD pickup, so winter weather might slow him down, but he's not concerned about getting stopped unless the roads close down. He's prepared for that, however, with adequate winter travel gear.

Thanks much,

Foy
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-28-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added the navigation link to the previous report

Default Done it several times

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    But that's all an aside, actually. I was really just curious as to what the general road conditions are between Vegas and SLC.
    I have made the drive from Las Vegas to Park City (for Christmas) several times in recent years. Some years, it has been dry and cold -- other years I have seen wet, icy, conditions from Cedar City to points north. One year, it too me about two hours to get much past Beaver with all of the spin-outs and folks stuck in ditches. I left the tow straps in place on the top of the truck to make it easier to deploy. It is really hard to predict -- you really have to stay on top of road conditions and adjust accordingly. Also I usually take US-189 at Orem to Park City. Very cool frozen waterfalls along the Provo River here!
    ...as he plans his trip, which will be a one-day affair (I know, I know--but at least I convinced him NOT to get off work on Thursday and drive up then, arriving at dawn or later Friday).
    That is still insane -- it can be a full day's drive from Las Vegas to Park City, depending on conditions and to add another six hours seems dumb to me.
    So, high elevations and lots of up and down, or flatter and lower?
    The ascent is reasonably gradual -- the route goes up the valley for most of the way. But snow on the ground is almost guranteed.

Mark

Default Roger the ill-advised pace, Mark

But you know these 20 year-old members of the US Armed Services--they think they're 10' tall, bulletproof, and immortal. "After all, Chief Petty Officer Jones said we are!"

I think he'll be fine, though. He's got a lot of road tripping under his belt, including lots of 300-400 mile solo runs. The weather is obviously the wild card, though, as any trip up that way can be in early Jan, but he's a pretty good wheel man for a youngster.

I'm with ya on the approach via Provo Canyon, and if his destination was that side of Park City, that'd be a no-brainer. Our friend's place, however, is near Parley's Summit,nearly as close to SLC as to downtown PC, so unless there's dire trouble between Provo and SLC, or headed up the mountain between SLC and Parley's, that'd be the way he'd go, plus he's very familiar with the highway between the I-215 exits for Little Cottonwood Canyon and the I-80 corridor up to Parley's.

Foy