1. Default Las Vegas to San Francisco October 2008

Hi,

Im from England and have been given the task of arranging a road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco after we have spent a week in Vegas getting married.

I have never visited the states before and Im really excited.

We do not want to spend most of our time on motorways (Interstates?) but are looking into using the less travelled routes. Roads where traffic is scarce but with the occasional motel to spend the evening in. We have a maxmimum of 4 days for the Road Trip.

We are really interested in experiencing something like we often see in the movies, the quiet deserted roads, motels trapped in time, small town bars etc.

Many Thanks,
    Craig

Default look here

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The trip between SF and Vegas is discussed at great length in tons of different posts on the forum. This thread has links to some of our favorites, but you can also use the search function to find many many more.

As an aside, you should know that what you see in the movies is not the real america. The romantic images of lonely motels and quiet middle of nowhere bars might not be totally fictional, but if you are counting on reliving what you see in the movies, you might not get what you are expecting.

3. Default Hmm.. two options perhaps..

Thinking about this, I'm doing to suggest a couple options. But what time of the year will you be coming?

With 4 days to spend from LV to SF, there's time for some interesting side trips.

The first option would to be go north west from Las Vegas through Death Valley, then spend the night somewhere around Big Pine or Bishop. Both small to medium-sized towns for the small town feel. Then I would continue up 395 to spend the next night somewhere around Carson City or Virgina City, somewhere a bit east of Lake Tahoe. From there, west over Donner Pass and through Sacramento. Third night you can stay in one of the smaller towns near Sacramento, or push over to Napa Valley for fancier, but possibly more romantic night there.

The second option would be to go through Death Valley, then head west and a bit south around the southern Sierras towards Bakersfield for the night. Lots of little towns ranging from Ridgecrest to Mojave to near Bakersfield. Then from there over to the coast, coming in somewhere around San Luis Obispo, or Cambria or San Simeon, and spending the 2nd night there. From there, a drive up the coast past Hearst Castle and Big Sur to spend the 3rd night in the Carmel or Monterey area.

Note, these two routes don't go over the Sierras, other than at Donner Pass. If the Sierra routes are open (they are closed in the winter), you could go over Tioga Pass and spend a night in Yosemite.

Quote Originally Posted by LerrynBoy View Post
    Hi,

Im from England and have been given the task of arranging a road trip from Las Vegas to San Francisco after we have spent a week in Vegas getting married.

I have never visited the states before and Im really excited.

We do not want to spend most of our time on motorways (Interstates?) but are looking into using the less travelled routes. Roads where traffic is scarce but with the occasional motel to spend the evening in. We have a maxmimum of 4 days for the Road Trip.

We are really interested in experiencing something like we often see in the movies, the quiet deserted roads, motels trapped in time, small town bars etc.

Many Thanks,
    Craig
    hi,and congratulations from another u.k'er!
    a slightly different alternative would be death valley[a landscape you won't see over here],as suggested, head towards ridgecrest but then head for lake isabella and kernville.
    for piece, quiet,great views and romance head up the kern valley towards visalia[stop at the "trial of 100 giants",a lovely walk through the giant trees on the way].
    from here you could head to the southern entrance of yosemite n.p, a trip up to glacier point on your honeymoon will be unforgetable,it truly is amazing.

depending on how much driving/exploring you want to do a trip up the generals highway to the giants village is another great experience.it would mean a detour through three rivers between visalia and yosemite but it sure is scenic!
    good luck with your big day,and you have every reason to be excited about your trip

Quote Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
    Thinking about this, I'm doing to suggest a couple options. But what time of the year will you be coming?

With 4 days to spend from LV to SF, there's time for some interesting side trips.

The first option would to be go north west from Las Vegas through Death Valley, then spend the night somewhere around Big Pine or Bishop. Both small to medium-sized towns for the small town feel. Then I would continue up 395 to spend the next night somewhere around Carson City or Virgina City, somewhere a bit east of Lake Tahoe. From there, west over Donner Pass and through Sacramento. Third night you can stay in one of the smaller towns near Sacramento, or push over to Napa Valley for fancier, but possibly more romantic night there.
    I am from that part of the country originally (I grew up in a small town between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe). If I might make a suggestion here, if I were doing this in three nights, I would stay the first night in Bishop, the second on Lake Tahoe and then push on to Point Reyes or Stinson Beach or somewhere around there (more my taste than Napa, but everyone's tastes vary) for the third night. Sacramento is okay, but I would suggest, in preference, using one of the Gold Rush towns in the Foothills instead for a midday stop - either Placerville (known as "Hangtown" in the Gold Rush days) if you are staying on the South Shore of Tahoe and coming down US-50 or, preferably, Nevada City if you are coming down I-80 from Donner Pass and the North Shore of Tahoe.

Also, be sure to enjoy 395 -- it's a wonderful road and you have the sharp rise of the Eastern slope of the Sierras just to your West the whole way up.

--Jon