1. Default A Teenage Dream! Advice Please...

Hi guys:

Okay, my name is Jack, and in the summer of 2009, A friend and I are trying to plot a cross country road trip from our home in New York City to where my mom is from in San Francisco. When I was 12 years old, I read On the Road and fell in love with the idea, and I've been dreaming of it ever since. However, recently I've been trying to gather strength for the idea with the parents, who are supportive, but cautious.

So let me pose the question: Is it at all possible for two 17 year olds, albeit mature 17 year olds, to make a trip of this magnitude, legally, sensibly, and safely?

We would be completely involved and patient with the prep work it would take to embark on this trip. We obviously would not be going 'Kerouac' style and just winging it. We would most definitely want a route and a general idea of where and when we are staying in certain places, give or take some time for unintended trips off the highway.

Also, what are our best options as we attempt to make it from New York, across to Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, etc,etc, as we make our way to San Francisco, back down the coast to San Diego, across Arizona and through New Mexico, somehow making it back across, up through D.C, and home? What are highways we should use, tips to save money, cost options!?

SHOULD WE WAIT ONE YEAR AND DO IT AS LEGAL ADULTS OR WILL IT MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE?
    Thank you so much, and try to be kind, as we realize this isn't the most likely idea, but just a dream right now.

Thanks,

Jack

Default If waiting a year works -- it makes more sense

Quote Originally Posted by jmccarthy View Post
    When I was 12 years old, I read On the Road and fell in love with the idea
    It is a powerful idea and I can certainly appreciate the appeal. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. There are ways to travel (camping...) when you are only 17 -- but it can be very tough to rent motels along the way. Here are some thoughts you can share with both sets of parents to begin the process of planning.
    What are highways we should use, tips to save money, cost options!?
    The absolutely fastest you could do this trip is 10 days, but it would be much more satisfactory if you could allow 20 days. Here are some basics for planning a road trip budget.

Mark

3. Default I'm kind of thinking to change things up a bit

It probably makes more sense for the two of us to go in the summer of 2010 and avoid the issue of being 17.

But, living in the New York City area, do you have any suggestions for places we could go at 17 just for a long weekend or something? To get acclimated with the idea of the road trip? I realized it doesn't make sense to do this big trip as a first one, so maybe going up to Lake Placid, where we have friends and a place to stay, is a good idea.

Do you have any other suggestions.

AND OUT OF CURIOSITY: is it possible to rent a motel room at 17

Thank you, this site is great and i plan to stick around for a while until my own trips start, it lets me be a part of the concept without being able to go yet.

-Jack

Default Local area

Quote Originally Posted by jmccarthy View Post
    But, living in the New York City area, do you have any suggestions for places we could go at 17 just for a long weekend or something? To get acclimated with the idea of the road trip? I realized it doesn't make sense to do this big trip as a first one, so maybe going up to Lake Placid, where we have friends and a place to stay, is a good idea.

Do you have any other suggestions.
    Lake Placid area would be good for a long weekend, and you have many options if you'd like to take day trips in the area as well - Jersey shore, Long Island, Connecticut coast, Catskills, Poconos, Delaware Water Gap, the Hudson River Valley.

AND OUT OF CURIOSITY: is it possible to rent a motel room at 17
    Yes, but it is not very probable.