1. Default Calgary to Yuma - Tips?

I just discovered this forum during a google search for driving tips on this trip. Don't ya just love the Internet. There's help for everyone on every topic!

We are going to be pulling a fifth wheel trailer from Calgary, Alberta to Yuma Arizona and are currently planning the following routing. We are planning to leave Dec. 1 or 2.

Calgary - Lethbridge -US border - I-15 through Montana, Idaho, Utah - Nevada - US 95 via Laughlin to Quartzite and Yuma. One thing I'm confused about already is that there seems to be a hwy 95 in both CA and AZ??

We plan to use I-215 to bypass downtown Salt Lake, but take I-15 right through Las Vegas. Any other spots to avoid for traffic reasons?

We understand that we will encounter snowy roads and some fairly high passes on the way. We would really appreciate any tips or advice from forum members about our routing, traffic, etc.

Default That is quite a change of geography!

Quote Originally Posted by jwbowerman View Post
    We are planning to leave Dec. 1 or 2
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I like that border crossing at Carway -- it jams up sometimes on Sundays, so I would suggest December 1st if you can manage it. But even with the Sunday traffic, I have never waited more than about an hour or so.
    One thing I'm confused about already is that there seems to be a hwy 95 in both CA and AZ??
    It is a US-Hwy and so not dependent upon state boundaries. However, there is a AZ-Hwy-95 (state highway) on the east side of the Colorado River (the US-Hwy-95) is on the west side of the river.
    We plan to use I-215 to bypass downtown Salt Lake, but take I-15 right through Las Vegas. Any other spots to avoid for traffic reasons?
    I would stay on I-15 in SLC -- it is not much problem. Personally, I can't imagine that you will save any time by using the ring road.

Your route is the "flattest" of any route -- you will be fine. How long are you planning on being on the road?

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for info, Mark. We will probably cross to U.S. at Coutts/Sweetgrass so as to catch I-15 quickly.

We will take your advice on I-15 vs I-215 in SLC.

We think we will be on the road about 3-4 days as our CAA/AAA triptik says it's a 25 hour drive.

Default Should have looked at the map

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary Camper View Post
    Thanks for info, Mark. We will probably cross to U.S. at Coutts/Sweetgrass
    that is what I meant -- I was writing that post from memory -- the last time I went through Sweetgrass the wait was about 45 minutes.
    We think we will be on the road about 3-4 days as our CAA/AAA triptik says it's a 25 hour drive.
    Yeah, that is a reasonable rate (but there is no way, you can drive that fast with a 5th wheel in 25 hours in December...) Fastest possible would be about 29 hours -- so you should figure at least four days, in case weather closes in. My sister-in-law was planning on a similar drive in two days -- but that is just slightly insane. Now, she is going to fly....

Mark

5. Default Probably too optimistic

Thanks for the heads up on driving time. You're right about the fiver slowing things down. I had the truck out this morning and I had to put it in 4X4 mode just to drive some of the streets.

We wil definitely not rush it, although we are eager to escape the cold snap that struck us last weekend and will stick around for at least the rest of this week. I'm talking about wind chills below zero farenheit.

John