1. Default Palm Springs to Vegas in Winter

I am planning to drive from Palm Springs to Las Vegas on December 27, but have heard that the roads can be snowy and treacherous at this time. What is the best road to take? Is it possible to avoid mountain roads? Any information would be appreciated.

Default We are in a drought....

Quote Originally Posted by palmspringsgirl View Post
    I am planning to drive from Palm Springs to Las Vegas on December 27, but have heard that the roads can be snowy and treacherous at this time
    Yes, it is possible that we could have snow on the 27th -- we often get some snow on the ground this week -- but it rarely, (never) closes the roads. Storms in late January have a better chance for closures.

There is no way to go to Las Vegas from Palm Springs without driving through or around mountains. Depending upon the route, there are 4-5 sets of mountains -- but none of them really require "mountain driving" techniques.

If the weather is dry (mostly likely it will be) I would take CA-62 to Yucca Valley and then CA-247 to Barstow (it is the most direct and the road is excellent) and the I-15 to Las Vegas. If you prefer to drive on Interstate Highway the entire distance, simply go west on I-10 to I-215 to I-15 to Las Vegas.

You will be on the road with thousands of other drivers heading to Las Vegas -- it really is not that dangerous. You will be fine.

Mark