As part of our USA trip next year we are planning a 2 week road trip in the first half of May '08. It will be a round trip from LA. We are 3 ausses in our late 20s, planning to hire a convertible for the trip. We've read alot of posts on this forum regarding the route, so have a fair bit of info from that.
Using google maps funky route planning facility ive got a graphic of our planned route.
New Alt Route #2 (changes to Death Valley and LV > LA)
This is our plan to date:
LA 3 days
LA > SF 2 days (up coast)
SF 2 days
SF > Yosemite 1 day
Yosemite 1 day
Yosemite > Las Vegas 1 day (through Death Valley)
Las Vegas 2 days
Grand Canyon 1 day (return helipcopter flight from Vegas)
Las Vegas > LA 1 day (scenic route)
Im using google maps driving estimates as a guide of how long the trips will take, however we are allowing for more time on each route for siteseeing.
We have 1 extra day to put somewhere on this route. Where would people recommend putting this? Some ideas:
* Rather than helicopter flight to GC, drive to GC and stay the night near by it, then drive from GC to LA the next day.
* Split up Yosemite > LV trip into 2 days (depends on road closures in early May for Tioga Pass, although Ill assume at this stage its closed so we will have to go around Yosemite)
* Split LV > LA into 2 days and maybe go via San Diego
* People done helicopter trips from Vegas to Grand Canyon? How does that compare to driving there yourself and exploring in your own time?
* How does the route look specifically? Any parts of it we should change, I have created it based on things I have read on this forum and other sources
* Sightseeing highlights we shouldnt miss along the way
* Good place to stop overnight between LA and SF
Lots of questions there I know, any opinions would be appreciated :)