1. Default Portland to San Fran in February with teenager

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum.
    I am a single mom of a 14 year old daughter, living in Vermont. My daughter has been begging me to take her on a trip to California during her winter break in late February. I just found out about a family event taking place in Portland OR that very week. So I had the crazy idea that we could fly to Portland, rent a car, and drive down the coast to San Francisco and back. I have friends/relatives in Portland and in SF, but would need to stay in motels on the way down. We will probably have about 5 or 6 days to complete the round trip.

I guess one question I have is - would it be a lot more expensive to just do the drive one-way, e.g. fly into Portland, rent a car to SF, and fly out of SF? I don't know how to inquire about such travel arrangements, so I'd appreciate help...

So, I am looking for ideas and information about the trip. If we do the round trip, it looks like it might make sense to drive the scenic route along the coast in one direction, then zip back on 5 the other way. What points of interest are there that would attract a 14 year old girl? How may days should we allow for driving? I want to spend at least a day or 2 in SF as well. Is this even feasible?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default tight timeframe

I think you could make things happen, although you'd be looking at moving pretty quickly. You can make the drive via I-5 in a long day, but I think you'll need at least 3 days to make the trip via the coast road.

So if you took 3 days to get down the coast, you could spend 2 days in SF, before doing a one day sprint back to Portland. You'd have to keep moving, but I don't think that's an impossible timetable.

Here are some great tips for things to see along the Oregon Coast.

Making this a one way trip from Portland to SFO would probably cost quite a bit more, since you'd have to pay a drop fee for your car and your airfare would probably go up a bit. It should be really easy for you to shop for these things online to price them out. Pretty much every online travel reservation site, including ours, will allow you to reserve a multi-destination flight (you might have to look under "more search options, or something similar") and many car rental searches let you put in separate drop off and pickup locations.