1. Default Portland Oregon to Washington DC

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. My girlfriend's sister is giving us her car so my buddy and I are flying out to Portland to drive it back to Washington shortly after New Years. I am budgeting 2 weeks and probably $1500 or so (plus whatever he spends). I wanted to drive down the California coast to LA before heading east as to avoid the bad winter weather through the midwest and plain states. Besides, I know people in SF, LA and Houston and these will all make fine stopping points. I was hoping people could give me any advice about this type of trip. I was thinking I will probably FedEx my girlfriend's sister most of our stuff a few days before the trip so that we don't have to fly with all of our camping and car gear. We will probably spend most of our nights in hotels or driving, but will spend the odd night camping out when the weather is nice enough. I appreciate all responses.

Tucson, AZ

Default Free is Relative

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to see a good piece of the country. We do offer any number of planning tips as well as tips for winter driving, since it's not only the midwest and plains states where you can run into bad weather in January.

This is one case, though, where you really do want to look a gift horse long and hard in the mouth. You're going to be putting around 3750 miles on this gift car, so the first thing I'd do before departing Portland is to have it thoroughly checked out. Be sure to tell the mechanic of your plans. I can easily imagine that most of your $1500 could go to getting new tires and other minor repairs needed to make it road worthy.

And depending on how much stuff you're going to ship, and how often you realistically plan to camp out in January (even here in Tucson, it gets below freezing at night in January), you might want to just forego that part of the plan. So, I guess my bottom line advice here is that I'd want to double my budget to be on the safe side to go get this 'free' car.