1. Default Northeast next summer

We are currently planning a trip around the NE next July.

Conneaut Lake PA (start - probably take a north route through VT & NH)
    Wayne, ME - 4 nights
    Boston - 2 nights
    NY - 2 nights
    Philadelphia - 2 nights
    DC - 3 nights

What I am interested in is really cool, sort of out of the way stuff we should check out - mainly in between our destinations.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Some ideas

You are starting near the Pymatuning Reservoir, correct? Have you explored any of US-6 through Pennsylvania? I have found it to be a good road trip experience, with places such as Leonard Harrison State Park and the Kinzua Dam worth checking out.

Some other ideas along the way would be to travel up the Hudson River and check out all that area has to offer.

Do you have 4 days to get from the start to Wayne, ME, or are you planning on spending 4 days in Wayne?

Tucson, AZ

Default More Options

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

It's just about 800 miles from Conneaut Lake to Wayne by the all Interstate route, basically I-90 and I-95, so it's going to take the better part of two days anyway to make the trip. Since you're looking for something different, I agree with Mass Tim that US-6 across northern Pennsylvania makes a scenic and refreshing alternative - and there are no tolls. It will be a few miles shorter, but several hours longer to drive, but well worth it, I think, if you're looking for something different. Besides the places Tim has recommended which, by the way, include the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania", there is also the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. If you then use I-84 up through southern New England, there are a couple of unique stops south of Hartford. the first is Dinosaur State Park where you can make your own casts of real dino tracks (just bring your own plaster of Paris), and then continuing east on CT-160 will bring you to America's oldest continuously operating ferry - it carries 3 cars at a time and costs $3.

On the way back from Philadelphia to Conneaut Lake, try getting off the PA Turnpike at Harrisburgh and taking US-22 and US-322 up through the Juniata Valley and State College.