I am in the process of planning a 22 night fly drive holiday for me, my husband and our two children (8 and 5) this summer (July-August). We have never been to America before and i really want to get this holiday right so i would love some advice.
At present my plan looks something like this:
day 1 + 2 Los angeles
day 3 somewhere on the coast on the way to...
day 4 + 5 San fransisco
day 6 + 7 Yosemite
day 8 Death valley
day 9 Las Vegas
day 10 Zion
day 11 Bryce Canyon
day 12 Monument Valley
day 13 + 14 Grand Canyon
day 15 - 19 Palm Desert, next to palm springs (for a rest)
day 20 - 22 San diego
There are a few things i am worried about here - i hope you can help me out????
1. Death Valley - is it going to be horribly hot - would we be better just driving through and staying an extra night in Vegas?
2. Driving distances - have we got too many one night stops and are we travelling to great a distance day 8 to day 13? Also are we really going to see enough with only one night at each place?
3. Is it too far to travel from the Grand Canyon to Palm Desert in one day - i'm hoping to go via sedona, is this too ambitious?
4. Is palm desert going to be too hot in August and also are we going to like it? (not sure how you are meant to know if we will like it or not).
5. Oh and one last one i've just remembered - my husband keeps mentioning lake tahoe - is it possible to travel from san fransisco to yosemite via lake tahoe without an overnight stop and if not is lake tahoe nice enough that it's worth taking a night off elsewhere?
Any other thoughts or advice regarding our route, places to go, places to avoid etc. would also be much appreciated.