1. Default LA, Las Vegas, Canyons, DV, Yosemite, SF ... too much??

This site is great and I have looked at many threads for ideas. I've come up with the trip shown below, in April. Not sure if we're trying to cram too much in, but there are so many places we'd love to go to. Here it is:

LA 2 nights 5/6th April
    Las Vegas 3 nights
    Grand Canyon 1 night
    Bryce Canyon 1 night
    Zion NP 1 night
    Death Valley - Furnace Creek 1 night
    Yosemite 2 nights
    SF 2 nights 17/18th April

This leaves us one more night to add on somewhere. Where would people suggest? Bryce Canyon maybe, as I think that's a long drive from the Grand Canyon?
    I'd be really grateful for thoughts on this trip, in particular:
    1. best route from DV to Yosemite as Tioga will be closed, and how long this will take
    2. How long will it take us from Grand Canyon to Bryce Canyon?
    3. Should we skip Zion and go straight from Bryce Canyon to Death Valley? If so, how long would that take us?

All thoughts appreciated - many thanks

Default Good Plan so far

Quote Originally Posted by lauraatscudders View Post
    This site is great and I have looked at many threads for ideas.
    Thanks for taking the time to look around and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum.
    LA 2 nights 5/6th April
    Well, you could easily spend a month or two here, of course. Here are some tips and ideas about planning a visit to LA.
    Las Vegas 3 nights
    Finally, a reasonable stretch of time! Here are some ideas about places to explore around here.
    Grand Canyon 1 night
    Bryce Canyon 1 night
    Zion NP 1 night
    These are heavy driving days and the roads are all subject to snow/rain/mud closures. Here is a field report that covers this same route to give you an idea of what is possible in the area.
    Death Valley - Furnace Creek 1 night
    If you can, I would spend 2+ nights here -- this is such a cool spot in April -- The Inn remains one of my favorite spots in America.
    This leaves us one more night to add on somewhere. Where would people suggest? Bryce Canyon maybe, as I think that's a long drive from the Grand Canyon?
    As mentioned above, I would add it to Death Valley. But the real issue is going from Zion to DV (it makes more sense to see DV when you are in Las Vegas...)
    I'd be really grateful for thoughts on this trip, in particular:
    1. best route from DV to Yosemite as Tioga will be closed, and how long this will take
    Most reliable route is the southern route ~ 6 hours. If you go via Lake Tahoe it could take as much as 12 hours.
    2. How long will it take us from Grand Canyon to Bryce Canyon?
    3. Should we skip Zion and go straight from Bryce Canyon to Death Valley? If so, how long would that take us?
    None of this really makes much sense to me. Yes, you can physically drive these distances -- but you won't have much time to really see anything. It is five hours from Las Vegas to Zion, and about 5-6 hours from the south rim to Bryce NP.

Mark

3. Default thanks for the input

Thanks for the speedy response - we will add a second night at Death Valley.
    we're doing a loop from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, onot Bryce and then Zion, visiting Death Valley on the way to Yosemite - is there a better way to plan to visit all these?
    Also, Yosemite Lodge is full - any ideas for places to stay??

thanks again

Default LA > DV > LV > GC > Utah Parks > SF

Quote Originally Posted by lauraatscudders View Post
    is there a better way to plan to visit all these?
    Yes, the more efficient route would be Los Angeles to Death Valley (3 hours). Spend the two nights and really enjoy the place. Then DV to Las Vegas (2 hours) spending the time in and around Las Vegas. Then LV to Grand Canyon (5-6 hours). South Rim of the Grand to Zion (~ 4-5 hours). Zion to Bryce NP (2-3 hours).

After Bryce -- the fastest route, (but longer in miles) is probably return to LV on I-15 and follow that all the way to CA-58 and then north on CA-99 to Yosemite (~700 miles or 12 hours) -- I would stay in one of the motels in Mariposa and then on to San Francisco. [A logical over-night stop on this route would be Las Vegas, Barstow or Tehachapi if you didn't want to the drive all in one day]

The shorter route (but longer in driving time) would be to return to I-15 and then take UT-56 west from Cedar City, UT to NV-319 (take the detour and drive through Pioche (great photos of the hanging ore cars) and then US-93 to NV-375 (the ET Highway) to US-6 to US-395 to US-50 and then south to Yosemite (this would be ~ 15-16 hours of driving).

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-20-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added clarification notes

I am passing on a recommendation from others who have made the trip: Do NOT skip Zion! My parents did this region of National Parks a few years back and have commented numerous times on the outstanding beauty there. They also considered skipping it, and were so glad that they included it.
    Good luck on your trip!

6. Default I recommend Monument Valley

I would do LA-Grand Canyon-Monument Valley-Bryce-Las Vegas-Death Valley-Yosemite-SF

Monument Valley absolutely rocks. Zion is great if you want to do serios hiking, but your schedule doesn't really suggest that, so I wouls skip it. Vegas I recommend you do on your way west rather then at the beginning of your trip. And keep in mind that Death Valley-Yosemite is a very long drive (via Bakersfield) as the Tiaga Pass in Yosemite will be closed.

You can check out other nice places in the area here: in the Southwest USA section.

flitz
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 12-06-2007 at 10:45 AM.