Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Phoenix to Grand to Page to Bryce-Zion-Vegas-Death-Yosemite-SF-LA-Palm Springs

This is at this moment the main idea for my trip next year May.
    Any tips or comments?

Day 1
    Arival Baltimore
    Flight to Phoenix
    hotel

Day 2 - 232 mile - 4u30
    (collecting rental car)
    Grand Canyon

Day 3 Grand Canyon

Day 4 - 138 mile - 2u40
    Page

Day 5 - 152 mile - 3u
    Bryce Canyon

Day 6
    Bryce Canyon

Day 7 - 86 mile - 2u
    Zion NP

Day 8
    Zion NP

Day 9 - 159 mile - 3u
    Las Vegas

Day 10 - 142 mile - 2u45
    Death Valley

Day 11
    Death Valley

Day 12 + Day 13 - 447 mile - 8u30
    Yosemite NP

Day 14 - 191 mile - 4u30
    San Francisco

Day 15
    San Francisco

Day 16
    San Francisco
    + departure Santa Barabara - 326 mile - 6u

Day 17 – rest of trip 326 mile - 6u
    Santa Barbara

Day 18 - 96 mile - 1u40
    Los Angeles

Day 19
    Los Angeles

Day 20 - 120 mile 1u30
    Palm Springs
    + flight to Indianapolis

Day 21
    Indianapolis practice day for indy 500
    (collect rental car)
    + trip to Chicago - 186 mile - 3u30

Day 22
    Departure to Detroit - 283 mijl - 6u

Day 23
    Detroit rest 283 mijl - 6u
    Toronto 243 mijl - 5u

Day 24
    Part of Canada ??
    Niagara Falls (van Toronto: 81 mijl - 1u40) At what time is it best to be here: morning, noon or evening?

Day 25 - 417 mijl - 8u
    Philadelphia

Day 26 - 112 mijl - 2u
    Washington DC

Day 27 Hotel in DC
    What is interesting to do as a day excursion? As the rental of a car is for 7 days?

Day 28 + 29 fixed program in DC

Day 30 DC with subway

Day 31
    Flight to Belgium

If needed I can make the trip longer but I guess this gives me time to relax/travel and have fun exploring the country?

A few major questions wich still lay on me:
    * from day 2-19: rental car from Phoenix to Palm Springs: the price.
    As I was calculating with Alamo I saw that the price for a rental for two times one week is cheaper then the price for a rental for 14 days.
    The other problem what I have is the price for the drop off: to collect in Phoenix and drop in Palm Springs = 100$, to collect in Indianapolis and drop in DC = 300$. Both with Alamo. Are these the prices or is there a cheaper/other solution?
    * for the flights in the USA I'm thinking about United and/or Southwest: good?

One other question for both of these trips what car is best suited for 2 persons?

Midsize: pontiac G6 or Fullsize: pontiac Grand Prix
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-18-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Default Most looks doable

Quote Originally Posted by Racerke View Post
    This is at this moment the main idea for my trip next year May.
    Day 12 + Day 13 - 447 mile - 8u30
    Yosemite NP
    I can't tell from this what highways you were planning on using -- but you need to remember that the Sierra Passes might still be closed in May -- so Tioga Pass will be as well and so you will have to reach Yosemite either by driving to Sonora Pass or via Lake Tahoe or going the southern route.
    Day 16
    San Francisco
    + departure Santa Barabara - 326 mile - 6u
    Six hours is impossible to Santa Barbara if you stay on the coast -- unless you never stop anywhere....
    Day 20 - 120 mile 1u30
    Palm Springs
    + flight to Indianapolis
    This is a weird one -- unless you found a special deal -- all flights from Palm Springs are likely to be more expensive than from one of the primary LA airports.
    Day 23
    Detroit rest 283 mijl - 6u
    Toronto 243 mijl - 5u
    As a non-US citizen, you may have problems driving a US rental car into Canada....
    A few major questions wich still lay on me:
    * from day 2-19: rental car from Phoenix to Palm Springs: the price.
    As I was calculating with Alamo I saw that the price for a rental for two times one week is cheaper then the price for a rental for 14 days.
    Generally, the best rates are in weekly periods.
    The other problem what I have is the price for the drop off: to collect in Phoenix and drop in Palm Springs = 100$, to collect in Indianapolis and drop in DC = 300$. Both with Alamo. Are these the prices or is there a cheaper/other solution?
    That seems pretty normal.
    * for the flights in the USA I'm thinking about United and/or Southwest: good?
    Those carriers are fine -- generally it works better to find the best flight time and price and not worry about the carrier unless you have frequent flier program considerations.
    One other question for both of these trips what car is best suited for 2 persons?
    Whatever rocks your boat -- I prefer luxury and mid-size sedans and medium-sized SUVs. But for most of your trip -- I think a comfortable sedan with a trunk is the best solution.

Mark

As a non-US citizen, you may have problems driving a US rental car into Canada...
    How can I be sure about this?
    Contact our department of foreign affairs.... ??
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-19-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: format

Default Who ya gonna call?

I'm thinking I'd start with the car rental companies. I would imagine they have up-to-date information on this type of stuff and would probably be easier to get information from.

My next choice would be travel agents.

If they can't help, I think I'd talk to both the American and Canadian consulates in your country.

I poked around a couple of different car rental websites and this is all the info I could find:

Border Crossing
    Canada
    - US cars may be driven into Canada by US residents. A Canadian non-resident insurance card may be required and is available at the Avis rental location.

- With advance arrangement and consent from Avis, certain cars may be rented from the United States and driven into Canada by US residents. Call 1-800-230-4898 for more information.

- Due to Canadian law, a Canadian resident is restricted from driving a US owned vehicle into Canada.

Mexico
    - Driving US owned cars into Mexico is prohibited.
    At least it gives you a phone number you can call.

How can I be sure about this?
    Contact our department of foreign affairs.... ??
    I contacted the Canadian ambassy in Brussels. For Belgian citizens who don't stay longer then 6 months there isn't a problem.
    It may be possibel that there will be an overenthousiast officer who wants to see the return flight ticket but next to that I should have no problems... . :-)

Default Thanks for the Report

It's always good to know how matters such as this worked out for people. Thanks for sharing the info.

AZBuck

7. Default Just another suggestion

Looking over the itenerary, I noted you're pretty much in the Las Vegas/ Phoenix area

Southwest Airlines is a good choice here in general, but you might also look at America West as well. The reason I suggest them is they are hubbed out of Phoenix and might have some flight options into and around the area as well. My experience with them has been pretty good, and I've noted they typically match or beat SW on price. (I expect all the airlines to be +/- 20% on the same service, same route, same time pretty much...)

The big lines are set but before I book everything I would like the opinions of the people on this forum on some locations as set below. The idea is if they're interersting I'll include them in my trip. I prefer now to ask then to hear that I missed something.

1a From Page via North Rim and via Kanab to Bryce (oiginal route)
    1b From Page via monument valley and the normal road to Capitol Reef
    1c From Page via monument valley and the northside of Glen Canyon to Capitol Reef
    1d From Page, via monument valley, via the boat over Glen Canyon to Capitol Reef via the normal road
    1e From Page, via monument valley, via the boat over Glen Canyon to Capitol Reef via the road west next/in Capitol Reef

2 Montezuma Castle

3 Wupatki National Monument

4 Agua Fria NP

5 Desert National Wild Refuge

6 Cedar Breaks National Monument

7 Valley of Fire State Park (allready planning to do)

8 Sequoia NP (reeds voorzien)

9 Giant Sequoia National Monument

10 Kings Canyon NP

11 Bakersfield

12 Carizo Plain National Monument

13 Joshua Tree NP (allready planning to do)

Next thing if you've been there: how much time do I need to take in account??

A small extra questions for the experts ... is it possible to do the trip from Death Valley to Las Vegas in the dark?

The road is the US 89 ...

Default Two hours from Furnace Creek

A small extra questions for the experts ... is it possible to do the trip from Death Valley to Las Vegas in the dark?
    Sure, it a paved road -- no problems -- it is two hours from Furnace Creek to Las Vegas.
    The road is the US 89 ..
    US-89? There is no US-Hwy 89 within 200 miles of Death Valley.

Mark