1. Default west yellowstone during christmas

Hello,

We plan to drive from Los Angeles to West Yellowstone during Christmas vacation. If you have traveled to west Yellowstone in winter, I would greatly appreciate your information regarding road condition, information etc. Also, if you have any recommendation about snow coach tours to yellowstone, it would be greatly helpful.

Thanks

Default Winter is a special time in Yellowstone

Quote Originally Posted by msbhat View Post
    We plan to drive from Los Angeles to West Yellowstone during Christmas vacation.
    As you probably know, most of the paved roads close during the winter months. The North and Northeast entrances are kept open year round and those roads are plowed, but I would recommend a 4-wd vehicle as it can be a little tricky in some places. Access to the park is along the road connecting Cooke City and Gardiner. By closing the other roads to conventional vehicles -- one can explore Yellowstone on skis, snow coaches and snowmobiles.

Snowcoach tours launch from West Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs, the Flagg Ranch (near the south entrance) and the Old Faithful Lodge. There are several outfitters -- I don't have a specific recommendation -- but here is one that looks reasonable.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks a lot for your answer. I don't plan to drive within park, but take snow coach tours. will Highway 20 be paved? Do you recommend 4-wheel drives on that highway too?

Thanks

Default Winter Roads

Quote Originally Posted by msbhat View Post
    will Highway 20 be paved? Do you recommend 4-wheel drives on that highway too?
    US-Hwy 20 is paved -- do you mean plowed? Yes, it will be plowed -- chains are recommended -- 4-WD was mostly recommended for the roads that are open in the Park. Here is the official NPS map for winter road access. Here are our Winter Driving Tips!

Mark