1. Default I have 20 days for a road trip !! I need some suggestions please??

I live in Portland, OR .. I need suggestions for a perfect 20 days road trip ...

Keithville, LA

Default Need Some Help Here

First off - Welcome to RTA.

Ok - now we need to know some things about you. What are your interests? Will you be travelling alone? Do you want to do more driving or more sight seeing? Are you open to camping or will you be looking for hotels? Are you looking for cities or open country?

With 20 days you can make it to the East coast and drive around a bit before having to head back. You're going to have a lot of options, but you're going to have to sit down and figure out what you want to do. Then we can help fill in the specifics and give suggestions. We don't know you, so we really can't give you any help without you giving us at least a vague outline of what you want to do first.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

What are the kinds of things you are interested in? Do you want to experience some big city that you haven't been to before? Do you want to head out to the mountains? Would you want to see the Gulf Coast, or the desert Southwest?

These are all viable options with 20 days time - in fact, you could pick from quite a few different places and still fit them in. Figure 5 days from one coast to the other, so that's ten days, giving you another ten days to explore around.

What is "perfect" varies from person to person.

Central California

Default Perfect for me...

...from Portland would be something like:

Seattle, Victoria, Vancouver, Jasper NP, Banff NP, Glacier NP (US), Yellowstone NP, Arches NP, Capitol Reef NP, Escalante NP, Bryce NP, Zion NP, Grand Canyon NP, Death Valley NP, Yosemite NP, Redwoods NP, Crater Lake NP and home.

Of course, time of year may have an effect on this itinerary, which is just a skeleton, but I don't think you could go wrong with a plan similar to this. Whether you could do it justice in 20 days is another question.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years