1. Default Boston to Vegas and back, staying warm, one month or so. Reccos? :)

Hi everyone!

I'm driving x-country later this year, and just wanted to say hello. I've been browsing threads this morning, and decided to register. :)

I drove x-country to Vegas a few years ago when my son was an infant--he's a preschooler now, and loves roadtrips, thankfully-- but my husband and I took a northern route--Chicago-blocked out Nebraska, etc. sorry!-- Wyoming-Utah-- Reno--Vegas.

MapQuest has a great new plot your route tool that I've been playing with, and because I want to avoid backtracking as much as possible, and just to play it safe, I think we'll avoid Denver to Vegas--although, wow, what an amazing route that looks like!

So, I'm thinking heading towards Memphis on the first leg, roaming around New Mexico a bit, and then across Texas to Florida on the return. (Lots of friends to visit along the way.)

I remember on the drive back a few years ago, we drove Arizona-New Mexico-part of Texas (Odessa, maybe?) and it was desolate and that part of Texas was not very scenic. Anyone driven 71-10 recently? Any suggestions that might not leap out as obvious?
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-27-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Policy

Default Great Parts of the Country

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I did a trip fairly similar to yours a couple of years ago, and while I didn't follow exactly the route you have planned, I can say that there is plenty to see and do in the general areas you'll be driving through. Just a few of the best attractions closer to the roads you propose to travel would include the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Great Smoky Mountains, the Talimena Scenic Drive, the Oklahoma City Memorial, Cadillac Ranch, Santa Fe, Petroglyph National Monument, the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Saguaro National Park, Kartchner Caverns, the Guadalupe Mountains, Big Bend, San Antonio, Shadows on the Teche plantation, the Okefenokee Swamp, Savannah, Charleston, and the Outer Banks.

Just to name a few.

AZBuck

3. Default Thank you!

The links are fantastic--quirky, and right up my alley. :)

4. Default Also

It looks as though we'll be heading to Disneyland and other typical SoCal attractions with family members. Any off-the-beaten path/quirky suggestions for that area most welcome! (Since I suspect I'll be Disney-ed out in about an hour..lol)

5. Default KOA: Kabins or Tents?

Next month I'm leaving on a x-country trip with my preschooler and my mom. Both are good budget travelers, so no concerns there, but I'm curious how booked KOAs tend to be in the winter? I've noticed several remain open in the South and South West, but would like some kind of sense of whether there might be other guests?

(Partly because it seems safer to me with a others around, and because it would be nice for my child to have the occasional kid to play with on the KOA playgrounds.)

I'm also looking at hostels, but having worked for HI many years ago, I seem to remember that family rooms are pretty rare in the USA, and probably not much of a bargain compared to mid-level budget hotels. Any experience?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-11-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: title lost in the merge of threads

Default Often running at close to 100% occupancy

Quote Originally Posted by karrie_amelia View Post
    ...but I'm curious how booked KOAs tend to be in the winter? I've noticed several remain open in the South and South West, but would like some kind of sense of whether there might be other guests?
    In our experience, most KOAs in the South and SW run close to 90% occupancy in the winter months. Mostly occupied by snowbirds, so I don't think you will see many children at them. Although there are more and more children being home schooled and traveling with their parents in RVs these days.

The KOA Kamping Kabins are not well insulated -- so bring lots of blankets. Personally, I would suggest motels with breakfast bars -- pools and nicer amentities than KOA's.
    I'm also looking at hostels, but having worked for HI many years ago, I seem to remember that family rooms are pretty rare in the USA, and probably not much of a bargain compared to mid-level budget hotels. Any experience?
    Much more range of hostel rooms available these days -- here are a couple of articles: Overview and some selected hostel resorts.

Mark