1. Default Leave SF Nov 9 for 12 days. Where to go?

We'd like to head north for a few days (to Portland, perhaps) then turn around and go south, see Tahoe, Yosemite, Mono Lake, Death Valley, Vegas, GC and LA. Then take Highway 1 back up to SF.

Is that doable in 12 days? Enjoyable? We're in Switzerland and it's almost snowing, so we definitely want to see some sun. Should we forget Portland and head south from the start?

Route suggestions appreciated!

Tucson, AZ

Default Well Yes, But...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You're looking at trying to drive around 2700 miles to cover everything you want, so yes, I suppose it is possible to get it all in if all you want to do is drive to these places, spend a few hours at each site, and then move on down the road. Part of the problem is that many of the roads you'll be on, such as CA-1 along the Big Sur coast, CA-89/CA-44/US-395 from northern California to the Lake Tahoe area, CA-120 across Tioga Pass to Yosemite (and back) and CA-190 through Death Valley are two-lane roads with relatively low speed limits. Beautiful, to be sure, but not the kinds of roads that let you eat up several hundred miles a day. Doable, but not enjoyable. So, my advice would be to lop off the drive up to the Pacific Northwest and just concentrate on the San Francisco, Tahoe, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco loop. You'll have a better time, and you're more likely to see sun in this area. A good way to get started on planning such a trip would be to read over the plans and comments of other people who've set up similar trips.

3. Default SF -> Yosemite -> Salt Lake -> Bryce -> GC -> Vegas -> LA

We're leaving tomorrow morning and have about 2 weeks.. Any road recommendations?

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Tioga Pass is still open

Quote Originally Posted by tripster View Post
    We're leaving tomorrow morning and have about 2 weeks.. Any road recommendations?
    I would certainly go to Glacier Point in Yosemite and then Tioga Pass. I don't quite understand why you are going to SLC. I would go south and see Death Valley and then you could follow this route for the rest of the trip.