1. Default honeymoon sanfransico to Las vegas!

Hello all,

Me and my partner are in the middle of planning waht is turning out to be quite a hectic honeymoon at end of Feb next year. We have following stop overs plannned;
    1) San Fran
    2) San Fran
    3) Monterey
    4) santa luis Obispo
    5)santa barbara
    6)santa monica
    7) Barstow
    8)Death valley
    9)zion national park
    10) Bryce canyon
    11) Monument valley
    12) grand canyon
    13) bullhead city
    15 vegas

Does this sound reasonable and it there anything a must not miss?!!?
    Any help greatly appreciated......and is there anywhere to abseil in the canyons?
    Thank you!

Tucson, AZ

Default The Trick Will Be In The Pacing

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The trip as you've outlined it will only require about 1900-2000 mile of driving, so certainly if you have a couple of weeks for the journey, you can make it a relatively relaxed pace (as befits a honeymoon) and still see some of the wonders along the way. You'll just have to give some thought beforehand to how long you want to spend in any one place. As it stands, your list looks like a day-by-day itinerary and it gives the impression that you plan to spend as much time in Barstow as in Zion. The day where you plan to drive from Death Valley to Zion, for example, while not particularly long at 350 miles, won't really leave you time to do Zion justice. The drive from Bryce Canyon to Monument Valley is over two-lane state highways, and may take longer than you're expecting. And there really aren't that many accommodation choices in Monument Valley itself. In the end, there's nothing impossible about the trip you've laid out, but I would suggest that the two of you go back and look at what you've got so far. Surf the web to see what's available for lodging at the places you plan to stop. You don't have to pre-book, but just make sure that there will be something there that suits your needs.

A few places I'd recommend you look into include the Aquarium in Monterey, 17-mile drive and the Mission in Carmel. the PCH along Big Sur and the tour of Hearst Castle. Do try to time your visits to the Red Rock country of southern Utah, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon in particular, to coincide with sunrise and/or sunset for some dramatic lighting and photos. And be sure to leave some time for each other, even if it means leaving out some 'attraction'.

Central California

Default Quicky Tour

This looks to me like a couple of relaxing days at both ends, and a rather frantic race around the Southwest in the middle.

You'll be driving about 175 miles per day (about 4 hours with stops), which leaves not much time for enjoying each sight. That is fine as long as you realize what you are getting into.

I can't add to Buck's fine list of suggested additions. If you can do all that and say you had a great honeymoon, then go for it.

But if it is beginning to sound a bit like a road race rather than a road trip, then you may have to make some hard decisions.

Good luck, and have a great time.

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years