1. Default NYC to San Francisco

Hello All,

I'm new here on Road trip America. I was wondering if someone could help me out. My boyfriend and I are relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area, from Flushing, NYC. We were wondering how long it takes and how much it costs with one driver, one passenger. Including bathroom breaks, food breaks, gas, etc. I don't need exacts, I just need a ball park idea of how much money we're going to need. thanks everyone!

Default It all depends on the weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Yana777 View Post
    I was wondering if someone could help me out. My boyfriend and I are relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area, from Flushing, NYC.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Sounds like an exciting move!
    We were wondering how long it takes and how much it costs with one driver, one passenger. Including bathroom breaks, food breaks, gas, etc. I don't need exacts, I just need a ball park idea of how much money we're going to need. thanks everyone!
    You should figure five days of driving 8-10 hours per day. Cost will be about $750 or so -- but there are ways to cut that down. Here is a good overview of how to do that.

Mark

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Yana777 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm new here on Road trip America. I was wondering if someone could help me out. My boyfriend and I are relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area, from Flushing, NYC. We were wondering how long it takes and how much it costs with one driver, one passenger. Including bathroom breaks, food breaks, gas, etc. I don't need exacts, I just need a ball park idea of how much money we're going to need. thanks everyone!
    if you figure a conservative gas estimate, you're driving about 3,000 miles. Figure you'll have to fill up (on average) about 10 times on the trip. Figure it costing you (again, on average) $30 to fill up each time - so that's $300 right there.

cater if you're taking any tolls (i know when i lived in Brooklyn years ago, if you head west through NJ - you don't hit any tolls - as opposed to going over the Verezzano).

factor in food (i would suggest mostly fast food with the occasional restaurant stop just to treat yourselves).

are you taking lodging - figure the low end would be Motel 6 for about (averaging) $40-$45 a night ( you can find cheaper if you plan accordingly).

Of course you're going to get your car checked out before you travel - right? Factor in that cost and cater for any unexpected auto work.

bathroom breaks are generally free but...don't forget to pack the buttwipe paper with you in case you ~really~ gotta go y'know...heheheh