Thread: A Good Deal?

Default A Good Deal?

Once again I'm thinking of taking a road trip but don't want to rack up another 2,500 miles on my 2004 Santa Fe. It's not that I don't trust her it's just that she's already at almost 80,000 and I'm trying to slow the increase on the odometer (so far, it's working; I'm down to less than 1K a month).

So I poked onto the Internet and pulled up the website of the local Toyota dealer. From them I can rent a Camry for a week for $179.95 and that cost includes 3,000 free miles! The Camrys they rent are 4-cylinders and they get 31 mpg on the open road while my Santa Fe will struggle to get 25. I think this is a smoking deal and will probably jump on it in the near future. What does everybody think?

Default In Perspective

Well, I certainly wouldn't do that all the time. It would run to nearly $9,500 in rental fees over a year, and you'd save less than $300 on gas, but for the occasional week where you're going to be putting in a lot of extra driving, it makes a certain amount of sense. In fact, my wife we insists that we rent on long driving trips from home, and so far our 10 year old cars have only sixty to eighty thousand miles on them and are in great shape. $180 is a very good price for a week's rental. Just watch the mileage as there is probably a fairly hefty cost for the ones in excess of 2,500.

AZBuck

Default A word for conventional rental firms

Quote Originally Posted by deloreanman14 View Post
    From them I can rent a Camry for a week for $179.95 and that cost includes 3,000 free miles!
    It really doesn't seem like that good a deal to me either. You might pay a little more through a national carrier (like Alamo or Budget) but mileage is usually unlimited and they have the huge advantage of having offices all of the country. If you experience a mechanical problem mid-trip, you can simply drop one car and pick up another. I would want to know the mileage on these Camrys and how well maintained they are.

Just my view.

Mark