1. Default Vegas & California

Hi everyone,

After getting some great help and suggestions on our last road trip (many thanks), I thought I'd pay another visit and ask kindly for some more help !

We've booked to go to Vegas at the end of July (long way off I know) and would like to do a 7-8 roadtrip from & returning to Vegas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, the only slight plan so far is head to San Francisco via Death Valley, Sequoia (maybe) and Yosemite. Then would like to head south taking in the very best of the coastal roads. Not really interested in L.A., would like to go to maybe San Diego or Palm Springs but as we only have 7 or 8 days, this might be too much as we don't want to race around everywhere.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Are you including your stay in Las Vegas in your 7-8 days? Or is that purely the time that you have allowed for the roadtrip element of your visit?

Presuming that this is the case, I would do the classic Las Vegas - Parump - Death Valley - Tioga Pass - Yosemite - San Francisco route before making my way down the coast via Big Sur then back to Las Vegas from LA. You're not really gonna have time to do much else, to be honest, so I'd keep Sequoia in the back of your mind in case you end up doing the trip in record time - in the unlikely event that you did have time to do this then do it on the way back to Vegas after your run down the coast - and ditch San Diego right now.

3. Default

Thanks Craig,

You are correct, the Vegas stay is separate, we have 7-8 days just for the roadtrip. We could actaully do 9 days but want to go back to Vegas for 1 or 2 nights before coming home.

Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll get the map out and do some more research.

Steve

4. Default

Hi everyone,

Well, our trip has now changed a bit so would appreciate a bit more help/advice. We are now going to fly from Vegas to San Francisco and just drive back to Vegas, so we can take our time and make the most of our journey (no rushing !).

So, big dilemma ! Do we:

1. Go via Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia & Death Valley
    or
    2. Go down Highway 1, then just cut across through Death Valley

We have 3 nights to get from SF to Vegas (4 if necessary), so comments & suggestions would be very much appreciated. Whichever way we go, we'll probably do the bits we missed on our next trip.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Default Tioga, Sonora or Ebbets Pass

Quote Originally Posted by tingtong View Post
    So, big dilemma ! Do we:

1. Go via Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia & Death Valley
    or
    2. Go down Highway 1, then just cut across through Death Valley
    Both good routes, of course, but since this is a summer time trip -- my advice would be go spend a couple of days in and around Yosemite and then take either CA-120 over Tioga Pass and then south on US-395 to Death Valley and then east to Las Vegas or.... If you really want to see a gorgeous mountain highway take CA-4 over Ebbets Pass and then the steep drop over Monitor Pass into the Owens Valley and the south. Ebbets Pass is truly an awesome drive and may be my favorite road in California -- but it is not for the faint of heart. Sonora Pass (CA-108 is also a gorgeous route) and Tioga Pass is the gentlest of that group (but still can be a bit hair-raising).

So, for me, given those options, I would cut out the coast highway and Kings Canyon and spend that time in the Sierras and Death Valley.

Mark

6. Default

OK, back again for a little more advice (won't annoy everyone again after this !) We have now booked accommodation near Yosemite (El Portal) for 1 night and we are staying in Death Valley 2 days later.

First question, should we stay an extra night at Yosemite (there seems so much to see and do) and drive to Death Valley in one day ? Or, is there anywhere in between worth staying for one night ?

Also, regarding the drive from San Francisco to El Portal. I presume the best route (for scenery) is the 120, getting to El Portal from the North. Or would it be better via the 49 / 140 (Mariposa) coming in from the South ?

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Steve

Default Yes, to all options

Quote Originally Posted by tingtong View Post
    First question, should we stay an extra night at Yosemite (there seems so much to see and do) and drive to Death Valley in one day ? Or, is there anywhere in between worth staying for one night ?
    Ya know, this really is an impossible question to respond to. You could easily stay a month in both locations and never run out of stuff to do, so it is a little hard to know how to respond. But, having said that -- June Lakes, Mammoth and Bishop are all fun places to stay overnight between Yosemite and Death Valley.
    Also, regarding the drive from San Francisco to El Portal. I presume the best route (for scenery) is the 120, getting to El Portal from the North. Or would it be better via the 49 / 140 (Mariposa) coming in from the South ?
    If it were me, I would do neither -- I would take I-80 to Sacramento and then CA-16 to Amador City and then drive south on CA-49 along the Gold Rush Trail to CA-120.

Mark