Thread: Desert Wheeling

1. Default Desert Wheeling

while I'm in Las Vegas I would like to do some off roading, I'm driving my '92 Jeep Cherokee with 35's and locked front and back, very capable truck but I don't want anything to hard core, I still have to drive 2000km home.
    Are there any light trails around red rock canyon? Somewhere the average tourist dosen't travel?
    It's my 3rd time in Las Vegas, 1st time with a vehicle.

Default Wheeler Pass Road

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete View Post
    while I'm in Las Vegas I would like to do some off roading, I'm driving my '92 Jeep Cherokee with 35's and locked front and back, very capable truck but I don't want anything too hard core,.
    The Wheeler Pass road might be a good one for you -- it really depends upon how much snow we have had in the area by the time you are here. The trails that originate in the Red Rock canyon area are a bit extreme with snow on the ground.

My recommendation would be to travel around the gravel roads in the Eldorado Canyon area (on the west side of the Colorado River) near Nelson. I really like the roads that traverse the Knob Hill area.

Here is a list of the 4-wd drives I have done around Las Vegas and if you really want to do an awesome one-day or two-days drive -- go see the Sliding Stones -- see this field report.

This is a pretty good site for some ideas -- I have been to most of these places as well.

Mark

3. Default thanks

thanks for the info

Default Rainbow Gardens

Pete,

I don't know if you like geology, but I just did a fun 4-5 hour drive that might appeal. You can do the entire route in 2-H, but I would recommend 4-H because of the deep sand in a few spots. Road is easy -- so it might not be be enough challenge for your rig, but the views and scenery are outstanding.

What I recommend is:

Take E. Lake Mead Blvd (NV-147) and head east -- about five miles after you have left the city, you will see a BLM kiosk on the right side (west side) of the road, pull out here.

This dirt/gravel road is known as Rainbow Garden Route. As soon as you reach the bottom of the first drainage, turn west and follow the sandy wash (you ought to see Kodachrome route markers) and basically follow the route down the drainage. The trail shifts back to the south and you will be in the Rainbow Gardens National Fossil Preserve. It is pretty easy to see small fossils on some of the sedimentary rocks in this area

Eventually this trail will run back to the graded road and you can follow that south to the terminus down at the Las Vegas Wetlands park and then return north on Lave Butte Route. Nice views, easy fun road.

If you really would rather have some more challenge -- the Mud Hills has plenty of fun, middle-range, technical hills and trails. The Mud hills are to the west of the Virgin Mountains (which are 3-4 miles south of Mesquite).

Mark